1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible? Turning a PC into a G5 Mac.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackecho, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

Ok, I was recently at Best Buy and they had the new Mac G5's on sale for about 2,500. It's got dual processors running at 2.0ghz each and has the capability to use 8Gigs of ram. Holy mother of god, I want one! But, the sad thing is, I hate Mac OS. I've grown up on Windows, and as much as I disllike Microcrap, I love WinXP. and I have recently learned that you can't run Windows on Mac hardware... why?

Anyway, is there currently a PC out that has near these stats for that price? I like the idea of having 2 processors and that much ram. Thanks!

2. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

This is the thing many people get confused with:

2 processers aren't better than one. The reason is this:

Most software isnt DESIGNED to work with SMP (symettric multi processing, 2 CPU's), so, with most software you run, it will actually be slower.

Now, if you mostly run buisness apps, like photo editing, video editing, etc, it will be a performance increase.

Your best bet is to go here: www.newegg.com and shop for good products, and you can build a system (or buy a built system) for at LEAST $1000.00 less... no kidding.

You can get a P4 2.4 GHZ 800 mhz FSB with HT- $150
    Abit IC7 Max 3 Motherboard- $180
    1 Gig of PC 3500 Corsair Memory - $212
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro - $200
    Sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro- $80
    250 GB SATA - $200
    Plextor P 708A DVD Burner (AWESOME!) $170
    CD Burner 52x-32x-52x - $70
    WinXP Home- $80

Total: $1,350

Thats OVER 1,000 dollars less... now tell me thats not a good deal?

Good luck!

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It is kind of like trying to run a battery powered car with gasoline.
    They both work, just not together.

I have heard that there are "emulators" to have a Windows XP type desktop on a Mac. I have no idea how well they work though.

4. Mr. PC Doc

Mr. PC Doc

Yes, Virtual machines, but first of all, they cost an arm an a leg, and second of all, you are primarily in the MAC OS

5. milomorai

milomorai

look into putting together a system with the amd 64-bit fx-51 cpu - it smokes everything out there including the g5. for $2500 you can put together a kick-*** system.

6. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

what kind of mobo will i need to run the amd 64-bit fx-51

7. milomorai

milomorai

8. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

what about a computer with dual amd64's? fast?

9. milomorai

milomorai

only if you are using a 64 bit os like unix(sun micro) or linux. windows is not designed for 64bit smp operation. for 90% of your pc work dual cpu's is overkill

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/212048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice