1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by freebeans, Jan 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freebeans

freebeans Thread Starter

I currently have a dual boot pc with windows xp and windows 8.1 on it. However it is loaded on an ssd drive limited to 120gb. Everything works great except there is no room for backups and not much extra storage space. However I have come across a 1tb sata drive. What i would like to do is have windows 8 boot up on the ssd. I would also like to put xp and linux mint on the second drive. I want to learn linux. I also want to use it for backups. Any suggestons.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is your issue or question, and does this really belong in the Networking forum?

What is the "it" in your thread title?

3. valis

valis Moderator

Pretty sure any bootable OS's need to be on the same partition.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, that's not the case. I've always used separate partitions (for XP, Ubuntu, Puppy, Windows 7, etc.). Not sure about what restrictions or complications there may be for multiple boots on multiple hard drives though.

5. valis

valis Moderator

Sorry, meant disks.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is a lot easier to do it with separate disk if the machines BIOS allows you to do the disk select, but it is not all that difficult with Grub/Grub4DOS or even with MS Boot selection. There are other tools as well. I've been doing it for years on my machines.

7. valis

valis Moderator

did not know that.....I've always had all OS's on the same disk.

Not that I'm going to change that, it's easier for me. But yeah, I'll have to test it. Thanks.

8. DaveBurnett

The only time you need to REALLY keep you wits about you is if you use a combination of both and you are booting from the other disk to where the grub's menu.lst is, especially since grub will search for it on all available media and may not use the one you expect.

9. valis

valis Moderator

why? What would be the undesirable outcome of that, as Linux can't boot Windows and vice versa?

10. DaveBurnett

You might have two disks with similar partition structures.
    It is not Linux or Windows that I am talking about. Grub is a OS independent boot loader. I use Grub4DOS which is a later implementation which I find easier to control.

11. freebeans

freebeans Thread Starter

Thanks i will try grub for dos. Sorry i didnt mean to post in this forum. I just didnt know how to move it.

12. valis

valis Moderator

freebeans, no worries. If you want/need it moved just ask. All we ask is don't start a duplicate thread. Where are you at with your issue? Curious to see the resolution here, as I've not done this.

13. valis

valis Moderator

Wow....shows how naive I am. Didnt know that at that !evel you could POST and then choose. I can see why you wluld use the term 'easier to control'.

How the heck is that possible? Is it assembly level?

14. valis

valis Moderator

Unless it (the botloader) doesnt care about anything after POST...that would be a very powerful tool that is not in my toolbox.

15. DaveBurnett

Most modern machines allow you to select which disk to boot from first; that is part of the BIOS start up, With Dells it is F12 to pull up the BIOS boot menu. I use that to choose which volume/disk boot sector to activate.
    However I use a tool called SYMON that allows dynamic partition selection as well. That tool sits in the Volume boot sector and gets activated by the BIOS boot selection. Symon displays a menu and allows you to have many partitions on a disk and to choose up to any four to map in the partition table at any one boot. You then pass control to one of the chosen partition boot sectors.

The partition boot sectors, in my case, have Grub4DOS installed which again can display a menu and allow the choice of any of the currently visible disks and partitions as well as booting from stored bootable ISOs (no CD/DVD needed!!)

It all sounds quite complicated and time consuming, but once you get used to it, it is very powerful and allows a lot of the flexibility that is only now available with GPT disks.

The biggest pain is when you DO get a disk crash that cannot be easily recovered from back up and does mean that my backups do have to be full disk images or none active partitions could be lost.

If you do want to see a complex and full example of what you can do with Grub4DOS I will happily post a sample nicked from Hiren

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice