1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it reaaaaallllly necessary to "Safely Remove" a Flashdrive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halcour, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halcour

halcour Thread Starter

As opposed to just pulling the darn thing out of its USB port?

Thanks,
    Harold

2. Sponsor

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know I have searched the real answer for this many times and never come up with it.
    I believe you need to do that with portable drives and also with jump drives, and with so many losing data on these forums with flash drives, you really should use the "safely remove" tray icon everytime, or remove it when pc is off to be safe. if you will notice, a pc that has never used any kind of external drive, will not have the "safely remove" hardware icon in the tray, so that is my best guess.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

No, it is not "reallly necessary" to use the safely remove feature. By default USB FLASH drives are installed with write caching disabled. That means that when the activity light ceases to flash on your USB device, all the data should be written to it.

It's still good practice to use the "safely remove" process, but I know people that never use it, and they use FLASH drives every day.

This is what I see for any of my USB FLASH drive devices, I have 8-9 of them. Note that they clearly mention not using the Safe Removal process.

Attached Files:

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You will not hurt the device by removing it without using the "safely remove hardware" icon. What that actually does is flush the cache and insure that all data is written to the device. If you just wait a min or so after using it, all data will be written.

USB devices are designed to be "hot plugged" so you will not hurt it by removing it.

6. JohnWill

The data should be written as fast as the device accepts it, since there is no write caching. Of course, with some FLASH devices, that can take a minute or two. :D

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Thanks crj and JW, I have never really known that answer but what you say makes perfect sense

8. JohnWill

It's actually what Microsoft said. :D

9. dobbelina

dobbelina

I guess all arguments here hold tight, as long as you don't unplug it while it's writing.

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

I've never used the Safely Remove Icon and never had a problem. Although I don't use flash drives, typically I have a digital camera attached.

11. Aussie John

Aussie John

i somtimes have a problem with my modem freezing and have to switch it off and restart it. i somtimes forget to do it the safe way. could that cause a problem?

12. halcour

halcour Thread Starter

My Sandisk flash drive doesn't have the "quick removal" option in Properties and the light is on the whole time it's plugged in, whether I'm writing to it or not. But the consensus seems to be it's safe enough after you've finished working w/it. Thanks for the info.

H

13. JohnWill

There's nothing in the modem that will be corrupted if you yank the cord out. Windows might complain about it, but it won't hurt anything. My HP PSC-750 doesn't have the "Safely Remove" option, and Windows complains every time I turn it off. It's been doing that since the printer was new. :)

14. Aussie John

Aussie John

thank you John Will i was worried i could cause a problem with it.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!