1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it safe to delete the original file?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BigDaveinNJ, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Usually... when I download a program... either a zip file or whatever... I will download it to a folder My DOCUMENTS/My DOWNLOADS.

It is from there that I either unzip it... if needed or install the program.

Now... in order to save space on my PC I am always looking for things to get rid of that I no longer need.

Now... I notice in my folder My DOWNLOADS I still have all of the programs I have downloaded over the past year... IE 6... AOL instant messenger, PALTALK, WINMx etc...etc... several dozen of them.

My question is.... can these original files be deleted without affecting the functioning of the program? Like... if I delete the AIM installation file.... will I still be able to use AIM or will it not function? I have always wondered about that.... but didn't quite understand it very well.

Thanks in advance

DAVID

2. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

The original downloaded installation file can be deleted safely.

The only thing I'd be careful of is the possibility that you installed one of the zipped files to the My Downloads folder. File that are simply zipped and not packaged in an installer like InstallShield are sometimes not too picky about where they go.

What I do is periodically make a CD of downloaded programs so that I have a backup. Saves on downloading again if I have to reinstall, and gives me the ability to take programs to other systems if necessary. Also gives me the ability to roll back to a previous version when that version may no longer be available on the net.

3. pointegirl

pointegirl

Hi BigDave

This concerns your question about getting rid of stuff. I too like to keep my computer clean of junk. When I go to get rid of some of this stuff a box comes up and says that it might share files with something else, are you sure you want to delete it? I have a lot of stuff on my machine that I am afraid to get rid of because I don't know if it will affect another program or not.
    Maybe some one will answer this one along with your question.

Pointegirl

4. deanas

deanas

Hi pointegirl:
    My take has always been to get rid of it all ( I suppose
    one of these days I'll regret it) and so far I've had no
    trouble. My reasoning is, if a program quits after a I've
    done it, I'll just reinstall the program. Anyone else?

5. slipe

slipe

Only an installed program will give you a box saying that a file might be shared. If you are uninstalling the program rather than just deleting it the message will apply to only one file – usually a .dll or .vxd. Always keep it. You don’t really know what program you might disable by taking a shared file from the computer. These shared files don’t take a lot of space.

This will never apply to a download. They can be safely removed. I have every program I have ever downloaded. I often dig up old programs that have become shareware or spyware.

If you use WinZip it won’t put a program you unzip back in the same folder. If it installs the program directly it will create a temporary file for the install and then remove it after the installation. If it just unzips something it goes in the Unzipped folder under C unless you tell it to do otherwise. Your original My DOWNLOADS folder should still contain only your original downloads unless you have told WinZip to put something there. You should be able to remove everything in that folder with no problems other than wishing someday that you had the old version of such-and such.

6. rhettman5

rhettman5

I have burned a CD with all my Zip and instalation files, plus I still have them on my computer :) . I haven't a clue what some of them are though, I should have renamed them when I installed them...oh well, if I ever need that old version, I can find it !!!..Rhett

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice