1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Is it the machine or the cable provider? Weird scenario.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wyldfae, Feb 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wyldfae

Wyldfae Thread Starter

I recently built a new computer for a friend who lives in another state. This is my 8th build, and I've never run into anything like this. Kind of desperate for advice as this guy is a disabled vet who basically lives on his computer.

Relevant Parts and OS:

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
    Intel Core I7-8700
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD
    Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2
    Corsair CX Series 850 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
    CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 bit OEM

When I did the build, I flashed the BIOS to the latest stable version F14. Also updated the audio drivers and LAN drivers for both the Intel and the Killer ethernet ports, although he'll have no reason to use the latter. Got the Intel adapter driver for Windows 10 64 bit from the Intel site. Got the latest driver for the GPU from the EVGA site.

When we delivered the machine to his place and set it up, the computer would not connect to the internet via the Intel ethernet port. We went through the whole gamut of Windows troubleshooting options, and kept getting an error 651 result "ethernet cable is either unplugged or broken". Since then, I've tried the command prompt fixes (ipconfig release and renew) (ipconfig flushdns) (netsh winsock resets) (netsh int ip reset reset.log). Disabled and re-enabled the adapter. No good.

Thinking I may have a dead ethernet port on the motherboard, I sent him an ethernet to usb adapter. He installed the driver, plugged that into a 3.0 usb port that was running his mouse perfectly well previously, plugged the ethernet cable into the adapter and still got no connection. The light on the adapter that indicated it was operational was on, but no flashing internet connection light. Same results on the troubleshooter.

Brought the computer back (his place is 4 hours away). Plugged my ethernet cable into the Intel port, and viola. Online in seconds. No problem at all. While I had the machine, I ran all the Windows updates (he has version 1903) which fixed the Killer LAN driver in the device manager that had been showing up as an unidentified ethernet controller previously and I didn't know what it was. Now it's listed properly, as is everything in device manager. No yellow triangles with exclamation points. Intel adapter is there as well.
    Also did some other basic stuff, got him set up with Chrome, fine tuned some settings, etc. Machine runs great. Sent it back.

No joy. He plugged the cable into the Intel port and when there was no connection, ran the Windows troubleshooting software again. Just said the ethernet cable was unplugged, although I'm not sure it was a 651 error again as I wasn't physically there. Just for completion's sake, we ran through the command prompt fixes again by phone, but it still won't connect.

The real mystery here is that his current old computer, as well as a roommate's laptop, seem to have no issue getting online. They even swapped out the cable in case that was a problem, but the new machine won't recognize it. The old machine is dying though, and needs to reboot periodically probably from other hardware issues. I need to get this computer online. We are having the provider tech come in a couple days, but I suspect they are going to say that the fault is not their network as it's working fine with everything else. But why would this computer connect perfectly well here and not there otherwise? I am out of ideas. This is particularly difficult as I don't have the machine here anymore and he isn't familiar with any of this. Can anyone help?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am a little puzzled myself
    1. However the following springs to mind
    The Intel LAN and the Killer LAN must be disabled before an adapter will work
    see manual page 59 and 63

2. Presuming that because of this
    it is NOT that cable he is using and was NOT when you first deleivered the computer my first guess is his cable
    OR his router/modem

I suggest
    1. Unplug the power cord (either from the back of the device or from the wall, whichever is more comfortable) of your modem, router, and any switches or hubs, between your computer and the modem, as well as any wireless boosters, powerline adapters, or access points, and leave them all unplugged for now.
    2. Plug in your modem.
    3. Wait until your modem’s lights show normal operation again.
    4. Plug in your router, if you have one, and give it about five minutes to boot. Routers typically have no external means of telling if they are ready, but they should be ready after a five-minute wait.
    5. Plug in anything else between your computer and the modem
    6. Power on your computer.
    7. Test to see if the issue is resolved.
    and if possible he connects direct to modem, if the above does not work

The reason I mention cable is because, you did not get a connection either, when you delivered the computer, and presumably you were using HIS cable, although perhaps the swop you mention covers that aspect.

3. Wyldfae

Wyldfae Thread Starter

I did have him disable the Intel adapter before installing the Ethernet to USB adapter, but could not disable the Killer LAN adapter because it was then listed as 'unidentified ethernet controller" in device manager. When I attempted to update the driver for that controller, computer couldn't find one, even at my place when the machine was online. That has since been rectified by the Windows 10 update process, which presumably helped Windows find and install the updated driver I downloaded from the Gigabyte website. Perhaps that was why the USB option didn't function, but since he was using the Ethernet cable at his place it's hard to say.

I am also suspecting his router/modem as his provider did some reworking to allow a connection in the basement for the roommates and there's no telling what kind of configuration is present. But that doesn't explain why his current old computer upstairs accesses the internet now with no issues. Is there some difference between older systems and newer machines with regards to networking? I'm hardly an IT expert. I originally concluded that there was either a hardware or software issue with the computer that I needed to find and address. But the fact that this machine works without problems at my place, using my cable and internet connection, doesn't support that theory.

Thanks for the process you included. Hopefully, the provider tech will run through a procedure such as that while trying to diagnose the problem. If not, I will suggest it to my friend. If they cannot get him online, I'm not sure what else to try.

4. Macboatmaster

The drivers are on the Killer site
    https://support.killernetworking.com/software/
    However they should of course always be downloaded from the motherboard site, if available it being an integrated chip, as against actual killer hardware

That said I doubt is NOW connected with a driver issue.
    I remain reasonably certain it will be a modem/router issue
    If there are ANY other LAN ports connected on the modem router I would have him disconnect them and follow procedure I have outlined

5. Wyldfae

Wyldfae Thread Starter

My thanks for taking the trouble to offer advice here. I am marking the issue solved as the machine is now working properly at his home. This is one of those truly ridiculous "DUH" kind of scenarios. While the Windows 10 updates seemed to have helped with some minor driver issues on a port he wasn't using, the real problem was as you suspected. The modem/router connection at his place. His brother lives across the street, and uses the same internet provider. I suggested they take the computer there and see if it could get online. It did so with no problem. Finally convinced it was not a flaw in the machine, the brother did some sleuthing with regards to the ethernet cable being used at my friend's place.

It turned out that the cable was not plugged into anything on the other end. All the while he thought he was hard wired to his router with that cable, it wasn't connected to anything at all. (The router was in the basement, and the cable came up through the floor) His old computer was getting online via a built in WiFi card, which is not present on the new motherboard. Honestly, I Lol'd for quite a while when I heard this. Been tearing my hair out for weeks over a dangling ethernet cable a provider tech had disconnected many months ago.

Thanks again, Macboatmaster, for trying to help. So glad to be able to put this in the rear view.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    I was about to ask if anyone checked the ethernet cord at the house because that was not mentioned but you replied before I did. :)

There's always a duh! moment... we just need to make sure we learn from it :D god knows how many times I had a duh! moment this week

7. Macboatmaster

Well what can one say
    I did sort of mention that on my FIRST reply as you kindly acknowledge
    When I posted
    of course you will not be surprised when I say - and in amongst that check, I did not think to say -check if it is connected at BOTH ends.

The main thing is I am pleased you sorted it
    I bet you were at the stage of tearing your hair out

8. Wyldfae

Wyldfae Thread Starter

I made the silly assumption that when his roommate took the trouble of bringing a very long different ethernet cable upstairs, just to see if it worked, that SOMEBODY would notice if it was actually plugged into the router. ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  9. Macboatmaster

I am sure I would have done the same
    I may then only have discovered it when I went to check what lights were showing on the router.
    As I said - pleased you sorted it
    Take care, perhaps we may work together again, if you have another problem, its not likely to be a simple solution - as if it was you would I am sure solve it yourself

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice