1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it the SSD, hard drive cable, both, or neither?

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by Guahan, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guahan

Guahan Thread Starter

I have a Macbook Pro 2010, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 PRO SSD, and original HDD in the optical bay with data doubler.

I'm going to skip the "how this came to be" part and jump to where I am now. If you need to know how I got here, as it might be helpful, let me know.

I'm at the point where I'm trying to reinstall the default OS, Snowleopard, then upgrade to it, but my computer isn't recognizing the SSD when I access Disk Utility by holding "C" at startup. All I see in the left pane of DU is the Snowleopard dvd.
    I took out the SSD, and connected it to my Toshiba through Sabrent USB 3.0 to SATA/IDE Hard Drive Adapter, and when it was recognized, I had to format it NTFS, which led to contents of the drive being lost (backed up on orginal HDD). SSD is in a state where I can attach it to Toshiba and can add files to it. I attached it to MBP and it's still unrecognizable.

The original HDD is formatted either exFat or NTFS (don't remember, as I used it to just put important files on it). I disconnected it from the data doubler, and placed it in the original location, rebooted with "C" (with optical drive back in because of the Install disc), got to Disk Utility, and the HDD is not there.

I am not sure where to go from here. I was assuming it was the SSD, but the HDD is also not showing up. Could it be the hard drive data cable that needs replacing? Is it something else? Also, when I hold "C" at startup, my optical drive starts spinning loudly, making weird noises, and takes like 3 minutes to get to the "Install" screen. Also also, I would try to connect the original HDD to my Toshiba, but I have really important information on it that I am scared of attaching to it and losing the information.

Guys, any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to bring this computer in Wednesday for a midterm!! Thanks in advance.

2. Headrush

Headrush

Try resetting the SMC. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

I don't know the specific cable on that model, but your test do rule out the drives.
    Found a thread with other people with same issue at Apple support community: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2648100?start=15&tstart=0

If that doesn't work and it's that important to get access to the drives by Wednesday, grab an external case from your local retailer. Macs can boot from the external drive without issues.

The optical drive making those noises and taking that long is normal.
    Optical drives use CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) and it's normal for the speed of the drive to change and as a result of that and the read head movements can be really loud depending on how the disk was written.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice