Solved Is It Too Late To Stop Windows 10 From Installing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
D

Deleted member 864885

I read flavallee's 2015 directions for stopping Windows 10 from installing. I understand the directions and want to do it. Microsoft has already started the upgrade for Windows 10 process on my computer system and my question is if I do the "stop installing" now what will happen or is it too late?

Thank you,

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
There's a difference between the Windows 10 files being downloaded in your computer and with Windows 10 actually being installed in your computer.
Which one is happening?

Do you see either or both of these folders in the main C: directory?
$Windows.~BT
$Windows.~WS

---------------------------------------------------------------

My instructions from last year are somewhat outdated now because a new tool has come on the scene that will do the job better:
GWX Control Panel

D

Deleted member 864885

There's a difference between the Windows 10 files being downloaded in your computer and with Windows 10 actually being installed in your computer.
Which one is happening?

$Windows.~BT
$Windows.~WS

My instructions from last year are somewhat outdated now because a new tool has come on the scene that will do the job better:
GWX Control Panel

I find $Windows.~BT in my C: directory.

Where can I find GWX Control Panel?

D

Deleted member 864885

Which one is happening?

$Windows.~BT
$Windows.~WS

GWX Control Panel

Oh, I found it, GWX Control Panel, thanks for the link!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You're welcome.

This is what its main window should look like AFTER you put it to use.

Capture.JPG

D

Deleted member 864885

You're welcome.

This is what its main window should look like AFTER you put it to use.

View attachment 247766

Yep, that's what I found, used it and I'm done with Windows 10!
I had a couple questions, one about KB3035583. It's still in my list of updates. Does it need to be deleted or can it be deleted? Also, there is an update waiting for me to install but it pertains to Windows 10, how do I delete it? If I need to ask these questions elsewhere, let me know!

Thank you again!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If an update appears for Windows 10 that you don't want to install, you need to right-click it and then choose to hide it.
If an update has already been installed for Windows 10, you need to locate it in the list of installed updates and then right-click on it and then choose to uninstall it.

D

Deleted member 864885

If an update appears for Windows 10 that you don't want to install, you need to right-click it and then choose to hide it.
If an update has already been installed for Windows 10, you need to locate it in the list of installed updates and then right-click on it and then choose to uninstall it.

Again, thank you! :)
I had figured out the "hide" option after my last post but wasn't sure about uninstalling an update.
How does that affect the overall functioning of my computer system when I uninstall an update? Just curious as I've never uninstalled an update before!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Uninstalling or hiding the Windows 10-related updates will not negatively affect your computer.
There are over a dozen of them that I've not installed and have hidden.

D

Deleted member 864885

Uninstalling or hiding the Windows 10-related updates will not negatively affect your computer.
There are over a dozen of them that I've not installed and have hidden.

Okay!

I've never really paid attention to Windows updates until I became disenchanted with how Microsoft was forcing, I felt, me to install Windows 10. So now I'm being more aware of what's happening with updates. I've changed my settings for Windows to notify me of updates and I'll decide which ones I want to install. Today I checked and there are updates which have been installed since I made the change and I wasn't notified, Windows arbitrarily installed them.

What can I do about that?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The KB3035583 and KB2952664 updates are the main culprits.
If they've already been installed, right-click each one and then uninstall them.
You can wait to restart the computer until after both of them have been uninstalled.

--------------------------------------------------------------

D

Deleted member 864885

The KB3035583 and KB2952664 updates are the main culprits.
If they've already been installed, right-click each one and then uninstall them.
You can wait to restart the computer until after both of them have been uninstalled.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, got that! Thanks!

Is there any way to stop updates of any type from self-installing? Maybe they don't matter, I just don't like not having some type of control now that I realize I can!:)

Appreciate your patience with a rookie!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you choose this setting, you will have full control over which updates to select to download and install.

Capture.JPG

D

Deleted member 864885

If you choose this setting, you will have full control over which updates to select to download and install.

View attachment 247825

Here's how I have mine set:
upload_2016-4-1_9-27-34.png

Which of the boxes should I have checked? I ask that because Microsoft is still installing updates and this is from today:
upload_2016-4-1_9-29-46.png

I've had upload_2016-4-1_9-30-55.png selected from some time now. Does "not" having
upload_2016-4-1_9-31-48.png make the difference? Guess I should check and find out! Which I will do right now! :)

Again, thanks ever for all your help!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Your settings are fine as they are. (y)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online