Is it TRUE? DDR ram is twice as good as SDRAM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deanr

Hi Folks !!!!! Jus like the header says- is it true ? I`ve got 768 SDRAm + considering getn 500 ddr ram. Is DDR RAM double the speed of sdram ???? Its only $99 i know for 500 DDR RAm but like to know if its twice as fast as SDRAM ? Thanx people ! Later Dean :)

In short, yes it is faster. However, the question is does your motherboard have DDR RAM slots? DDR RAM requires a different slot than SDRAM.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
And dual DDR is twice as fast as running it as a single module. Speed kills! :D:D:D

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
CarlssonMB said:
I would guess that if you have SDRAM now, your motherboard doesn't support DDR

Depends, one of my boards will take either. Obviously, not both at the same time.

Triple6

Rob
And while its twice as fast on paper and ups the bandwidth to several times that of SDRAM it won't make the computer run twice as fast even if your motherboard would support DDR.

In memory benchmarks (e.g. memtest86) DDR SDRAM performs roughly 50% faster than regular SDRAM, although this translates to a smaller (e.g. 10%) gain in general-purpose applications. But your board has to have 184pin DDR SDRAM slots to be able to take it, regular SDRAM fits in 168pin slots. Some boards have both, most don't. I don't think it's worth getting a new board just to use DDR SDRAM.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
When you factor in the cache hit rate of 90% or better on any modern processor, there isn't a huge amount of performance to gain with better memory bandwidth. It's just one of many performance boosts that you can combine, it's called a new hotrod system. :D

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you're running on a dual channel board, the two RAM modules will give you greater memory bandwidth. The reason is simple, they're simultaneously accessed, so you are fetching twice the data in the same amount of time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online