1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it worth getting Windows XP SP2?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by techkid, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techkid

techkid Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    I ran Windows Update the other day, and the only update available was SP2. I have heard...negative remarks :rolleyes: about it so I am hesitant about getting it. Should I really get it?

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Depends on how clean you system is now and how many 3rd party programs you run. I have install SP-1 on 20 or so machines and have had one "real" issue . . with a 3rd party program . . which they have since fixed.

wrs

3. mimo2005

mimo2005

i just received today the sp2 cd(home and pro edition) from microsoft , and i havent made the jump yet ,i am checking all my softwares if they are compatible .

4. techkid

techkid Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    It's going smoothly (finally, after recently acquiring an internet connection and running the 20-odd patches from Microsoft), no clashes, no problems with my games, utilities or firewall. No nothing...yet (I'd better not say that, probably Microsoft will download some bugs or problems now :D ).

5. southernlady

southernlady

Go read my post in this thread: # 28 & 32 http://forums.techguy.org/t267602.html Liz

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Liz . . was that a usb keyboard you mention in the post?

wrs

7. southernlady

southernlady

It was a standard usb keyboard but had to had some software to run it. The point it, if it crashes with only ONE piece of extra software, what about all the rest? And the ONLY reason for that was to navigate the menus. Liz

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yep . . I have seen several issues with XP and USB Keyboards . . I carry a PS/2 keyboard and mouse with me on calls for when have to reinstall XP and run into the USB ones. That seems to be an issue that M/S could fairly easily fix. . wonder why they do not? ?

I have had good luck with SP-2 but realize others have not.

wrs

9. southernlady

southernlady

Only reason I used a usb keyboard is there isn't a ps2 in the house and I couldn't FIND the danged usb/ps2 converter. Liz

10. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

If I were you I would wait a while longer,there are so many problems popping up in these forums,and others say they have none (that they know off) we have lived without it up until now so a little longer wont hurt,hopefully it will be bug proof eventually ......

11. Money Pit

Money Pit

First Name:
    Dave
    I think waiting a few more months is EXACTLY what I'm going to do. As far as security goes I feel confident my computer is protected better than 80% of the machines out there and like what was previously said, I've went this long without the "SUPER" SP 2 :) , what's a few more months? So many times in the past I have either fixed something that WASN'T broken in the first place OR I kept fixing it until it WAS broken :) My computer is working flawlessly and I'd love to keep it that way. That is just my 2 cents worth... we all have to decide for ourselves, I'M WAITING :) Thanks Dave

12. xrated

xrated

I havent got it yet either. It is a really huge file. What i want to know is, since i have "Automatic Updates" enabled, how come it hasnt downloaded the service pack???

Also, what are some noticeable upgrades/new features found in SP2?

13. dugq

dugq

I think whether SP2 is worth it depends upon how you use the machine. For example, I don't use Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, or Windows Firewall, so there isn't an awful lot in it for me. The only thing that did effect me (I had to install it for work purposes) was the limit on lost TCPIP connections, which has a negative effect on P2P programs, although I have since gotten round this.
    The most obvious improvements are
    In Internet Explorer
    1.Pop Up Blocker
    2.Improved Active X security
    3.Easy management of browser add-ons
    I think if you use IE and don't already have these things in 3rd party software then the upgrade is definitely worth it, albeit long overdue.
    In outlook express
    1.Blocking of html images
    2.Better handling of dodgy attachments
    Also the firewall is much improved

I think for the average consumer it is a very good upgrade, for people who already know how to handle security them probably not so important.

14. techkid

techkid Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    I think I will wait for SP2 for the time being. My computer is well-behaved at the moment and I don't want it to fall in with the wrong crowds :D .

15. mach9

mach9

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice