1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it worth it to replace CPU?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ret03man, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ret03man

ret03man Thread Starter

I was wondering if a new cpu would speed up my applications or if it is to involved and expensive. I have a Gateway E-4600 computer, 512 memory,Samsung 160g primary hard drive,WDC 80g secondary hard drive,Windows XP,Intel D850GB AAA49507903 motherboard,Intel pentium 4 1.30g processor. This computer is 4 yrs old, but I have upgraded it from time to time.

2. 4steve44

4steve44

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

At a guess, your motherboard takes a Socket423 processor. These are impossible to buy new these days, but you may be able to find a second-hand one on eBay. 2.0GHz is as high as they go.

4. ret03man

ret03man Thread Starter

Thank You Gentlemen for the info!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd save my pennies for a real upgrade. Since the memory speed and other factors will limit the real performance gain, why not put that money into something that will be noticably faster. :)

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'm with John.

The rule of thumb: All other things being equal, if you do not at least double the speed of the processor, the gain in performance is largely unnoticable.

Save your money.

7. ret03man

ret03man Thread Starter

Thanks for your input. May I ask which upgrade(s) would be advisable.
    A new motherboard?

8. Roblobob

Roblobob

Personally I'd build a complete new system and maybe take the HDDs out of the old PC. New motherboard, new CPU, new faster RAM and maybe a decent graphics card if you play games.

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'm not sure about your particular Gateway; but, most name-brand systems will not accept a standard ATX main board so Roblobob's advice may be the only way you can "upgrade" the system.

That being your only alternative, you might want to look at a new computer; but, I would stay away from systems with sub-standard Samsung hard disks. They're usually not good performers. Just my opinion.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!