1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seth13, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

I'm going to college next year, and my parents are purchasing me a laptop for my graduation present. I was looking at WidowPC laptops, and all the reviews on them(Sting517D). One that I would likely purchase is about $2500, and claims to get a score of 13500 on 3dMark03.
    Specs:
    Intel Core Duo T2300 1.66 GHz
    1 gb 533mhz DDR2
    Seagate 60gb 7200 rpm HD
    nVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX 256MB
    17" 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+ LCD

My present computer at my home that I have built includes:
    Specs:
    Athlon 64 3000+ @2.0 Ghz
    1gb DDR 400
    80 gb 5400rpm
    Asus X800XT

and I am getting a score of 1100+ on 3dmark03. Would it really be worth it to purchase this laptop for that price. I figured when I'd pay that kinda money, and wiht it having the newest in gpu technology, itd be scoring way higher then my custom build computer. Do you think this is a correct score, and it would run games perfectly, or should I look elsewhere for a laptop. Suggestions please.

P.S. I'm thinking the bottlenecking is taking place with the CPU. 1.66 ghz :( doesnt seem like alot of power to me.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Yes its probably the correct score and yes it probably will play games okay since its touted as a gaming laptop.

As far as the cpu remember thats a duo which is a dual core so you can run 1 thing at 1.66 and still have full capabilities running a second app. While thats not good for gaming (yet if ever) its great for things like rendering, DVD creation and things that take alot of CPU intesive tasks.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I hope thats 11,000 for your desktop.

4. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

Yeah, thats 11000 for my desktop.

That still seems like a pretty low score for that kinda hardware.

5. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

What gaming laptop would you guys suggest then?

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you go to college, I suggest you might want to consider actually studying, rather than playing games. It makes the vast sums of money your parents are paying for your education more worthwhile.

7. 1ets

1ets

JohnWill has given you the best advice you will ever get.

8. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

All work and no play makes John a dull boy :rolleyes:

9. 1ets

1ets

What does all play and no work do ???

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Leaves you unemployed.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you get a gaming laptop, forget about taking it to class, the library, and all those other great places you hear about college kids taking their laptops. Yours will be very heavy, run hot, and have a short battery life.

But, hey, if studying ain't your thing, go for it.

12. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Who said anything about "All play and no work " ?? Your confused. Go have some coffee and come back and try again.. :D
    DoubleHelix - Leaves you unemployed. -- Gee really..LOL So everyone who ever went to college who partied and played video games are all unemployed now ?? LOL
    You better go have some coffee to. You guys sound like your the life of the party.. ;O)~~

13. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Makes for a funny movie ... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/

In real life it might get you a job where you get to ask people if they want to biggie size their order (not that I am saying that there is anything wrong with working in the fast food industry).

14. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Looks like someone could have worked a bit more in their English classes. :D :D

15. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Thats purdy fun-knee..So the hundreds of thousands of ppl who went to college who partied and played and still managed to get there degrees and masters are all now flipping burgers.. Reading your post is way better then the daily funnies..(n)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice