1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Seth13, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I believe that 1ets specifically asked "What does all play and no work do ???" I was answering that specific question.

I never meant to suggest that "Hard work and some play" will prevent someone from getting a degree and/or a very well paying job.

I do agree with the old saying that "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

2. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Ding Ding Ding you win the prize.. You get the point (y)
    Now riddle me this Batman
    You have a choice between being
    A. Highly Educated OR
    B. Very Wise
    You must only pick one and it will stick for you for the rest of your life. Please make your selection :confused:

3. brite750

brite750

We have meandered way off topic yet again, this will turn into an endless stream of snappy banter leaving you with that feeling that you will never get that hour or two back.

4. brite750

brite750

(y) thats just about what i was thinking....gaming laptop for college??? your lucky I'm not your father, as if the binge drinking, drugs and sex arent going to be enough to keep you busy, you have to be able to play pc games.....buy a friggin X-Box. My god nothing like planning your leisure time when you get to school, I had very little leisure time and the more I made for myself the worse my grades got. We didnt have pc games at all back in the day and yet some how we found ways of amusing ourselves.

5. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

I just bought a 360 sir. But thats beside the point. So should I go with building my own computer, and purchasing a laptop with optimal battery life and low weight.

p.s. I'm not taking the advice about studying. :) Games will always be apart of me.

6. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

Could you guys just give me some suggestions please?

7. wacor

wacor Banned

You wont like my suggestion but >>

I would not spend a ton of money on a laptop for school. Your high tech laptop will be a prime choice for somebody to steal.

Plus a laptop takes a beating being lugged around and is far more succeptible to becoming damaged.

I am not a gamer so I dont have a clue how bad games run on a $1000 laptop compared to the one you are considering.

Just curious how much it would cost for a desktop that will be a decent game machine? Is it possible to buy one of those and then a low end laptop. You would have the desktop in the dorm but have the portability of the laptop?

Just an idea to throw out there.

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

I think you should get the laptop you want, and don't go cheap.
    If you want a top of the line gaming laptop, get one. Don't listen to what anyone here
    says about studying and gaming.

BTW, ...relish, mustard, onions....uhhh...pickles...extra pickles, please...and a Diet Coke...small fries...

9. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

Okay, i'll comprimise. I guess you guys are right about not being able to lug a 15 pound piece of plastic and LCD around on my back. Could you give me suggestions on a laptop that still has good graphics power, in a small portable package?

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You're really full of useless suggestions today, aren't you? ;)

12. prunejuice

prunejuice

Why is a MacBook useless?

13. steveb1492

steveb1492

Its a Mac:p .

Honestly, I'd just go for a cheap $600 laptop with a 'dedicated' GPU and use the rest of the money on the desktop of your dreams. You probably (hopefully) won't be playing halflife on full settings during class anyway:D.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If he's shopping for a PC for college, I suspect that he wants a PC, not a Mac. :rolleyes:

15. Seth13

Seth13 Thread Starter

Yeahh.. Macs aren't exactly my forte.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice