1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is LAN causing this issue..Win7 to XP lag

Discussion in 'Networking' started by museumsteve, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. museumsteve

museumsteve Thread Starter

I have no idea where to put this so thought I'd start here. I apologise for a lengthy post but I thought it's better to explain everything first.

I've just about given up really and came across this site so rather than try and google everything I thought I'd sign up and ask myself :)

I have a racing sim I built at home for PC racers. I've added motion to it recently by way of linear actuators. The actuators run off sofware that takes the telemetry data from the various games and outputs through software and tells the actuators what to do.
    This works fine..infact it's awesome :D but...and there's always a but, I've come up against a very strange issue that no one has been able to help with yet.

Because of the way I play and games I use I wanted to use a network option for the motion software. This means having a second PC that purely drives the actuator software. It's on my LAN as a sort of client and a server app runs on the main PC sending the data.

There's 3 main programs in the community for motion, X-sim2, X-sim3 and E69, all have LAN ability.

If I use X-sim 2 or 3 everything is perfect using my 2nd PC. The issue is E69...but not as simple as a bad program I think.

Originally I was using an old Vista laptop to run as a client but then bought a shuttle cos it's was neat and fitted in with my plans. It also feeds a USB touchscreen monitor so I can make changes on the fly. The shuttle runs XP SP3...and here's the issue, the motion is lagging a lot, so much so I cant use it. Instead of maybe 10 or 20 movements a second I get 1 or 2 (relatively speaking). The worse thing is x-sim2 and 3 dont have this issue on the shuttle.

After weeks of trying various things I assumed it may be an issue with the shuttle and the way the usb is output (actuators connect via usb to serial adapters). I thought it could have just been a quirk with the mobo. So this week I bought a different shuttle (different mobo model), bought a new copy of XP pro and would you believe it..same problem.
    If I plug my vista laptop in it's flawless. If I use x-sim2 or 3, it's flawless on either of the shuttles and the laptop..

soooo..what on earth could it be :confused:

I honestly dont know where to start. All 3 lots of software basically use the same data type from the games. All/any machines ping each other perfectly, tried with firewall and avg on and off and exceptions done etc etc..

I'm at a complete loss..I dont even know which section to put this in here :eek:

2. museumsteve

Quick update here...
    I appreciate my post may have been seemingly over-complicated but after more playing today it may be simpler than thought..certainly for those in the know :)

I now have a Vista laptop next to me and the XP shuttle. My main game PC is Win 7 x64.

If I plug Vista into network, start the lan appon both machines and look at resource monitor via tsk mgr, I see a TCP latency of around 100ms for my app. If I plug in XP shuttle and do exactly the same I get around 220ms latency.

So does that really mean that by plugging in an XP machine (bearing in mind I've tried 2 completely different shuttles with XP) can have this effect on it? Does it mean XP does things differently regarding TCP etc...Would I get away with putting Vista on one of the shuttles?

I'd buy a copy of Vista if I thought it would work but I've now bought 2 shuttles and an extra copy of XP and still not working :s There is a computer fair local to me in the morning so I may take the plunge

3. museumsteve

Well the support from here was over-whelming :D

I resolved the issue..and it was indeed a hiccup between Win7 and XP.. I ended up installing Vista last night on the shuttles and the issue has gone away.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice