Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is Linux ready to replace Windows 2000 server and 2003 server?

948 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Whiteskin 
#1 ·
Currently we are on an NT network with a few 2000 servers tossed in. Today I learned that the plan is to migrate everything to Linux. Lets assume that this only applies to the servers and that the users will still operate with 98/nt/2000/xp. What are your thoughts on this?

I put this in this forum for a reason. Because I'd rather get the advice from 2000 and 2003 experts who know what Linux cannot replace than to hear the Linux fanboys and anti-Microsoft activists praise it to the high heavens.

What would your concerns be if this was done on your network? What problems have you encountered if you'd tried this? Or what successes? Know of any businesses that have done this successfully?

#2 ·
We did a switch from 2003 to Red Hat Linux early this year...and I forget the specifics, but we uninstalled Linux and put 2003 on, probably a month or two later...

I wish I remember the details, since I wasn't as involved in the IT administration as I am now.....but it seems like going Linux requires more enthusiasm for this line of work than anything else, IMHO. Frankly, I don't have that I.T. passion as I did years ago....either that or I've lost some patience (two vital things to deal with this biz!)

I and many others believe that Linux is a viable network platform, perhaps superior....but if you're NOT into it (and you know what I'm talking about), then I would advise against it.

I'd be interested in hearing what other people have to say as well...

#3 ·
It depends on if you are a point and click person or a command line person, Linux seems more command line oriented to me and that's why I think it will never go mainstream. I would have to agree with Fellipe's assessment, you have to be really into that type of work to use it effectively, most people are happier in the point and click wizard world.

#4 ·
I'm a linux person, so take these remarks with a grain of salt.

I agree with both of the above posters. You'll find that you will need to engage your brain before working with linux, and that isn't a good thing for some people. This is both a blessing and a curse. I find that in linux, there are a variety of tasks which would take delving through assorted dialog boxes taking very little time comparativly on the command line. Because I've always been a keyboard person, I have a tendancy to like the command line more than a GUI, though, when one is well designed I will use it.

On a server, I think you will need to think about a couple of things. First: Do your people have experiance. Linux is getting easier and easier to use, but it's amazingly helpful to have a wizzard hanging around to back you up.
Second: What is this thing to be doing? If it's doing something minor, like serving small numbers of files to an small-medium internal network, then perhaps it may be better to stick with windows. It's probably easier to maintain on a smaller level. On a larger network, or where you are seeing mission critical applications, then linux may be a better way to go. It has a history of being reliable, and on a bigger scale, easier to administer. The command line paired with SSH means you can administrate any machine from anywhere, with minor setup tweaks. A linux network at the large size, and in clusters, is nice to just sort of set it and forget it.
Third: Hardware. Is the hardware, for a large setup, fairly homogenous? If not, you could run into issues with support, and an administration overhead. If it is homogeneous, then you could conceiveably set up a master image, roll it out to everything, and then tweak the boxes as needed. <edit>fourth, What about support? Are you buying into a vendor, like RH? If not, then you are lacking a security net that is probably prudent. If you know your network like the back of your hand, then perhaps you don't need the net, but hey, better safe than sorry.</edit>

I think, as linux v. windows always does, it all comes down to Simplicity versus power.

I didn't adress security here, because it becomes a sort of religious thing. Depending on who you trust, either linux or windows is more secure. Of course, the most secure OS (out of the box) is OpenBSD.

#5 ·
Great comments. Thanks. In my situation I think its going to be done. The powers that be want it and its out of my hands.

I was upset about this at first. But I feel better after reading the following article.

http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065859.html?tag=lh

I think in our case we'll probably find out that replacing a lot of things will be easy. But replacing everything will be very difficult. But that article really makes me want to make it happen.

#7 ·
Whiteskin, you're such a purist!

It's good to see those who push the "manual transmission" of Operating Systems....if it weren't for these guys, we could very well end up in a Macintosh-only computing society...and you know how boring that would be.

And for what it's worth, when the going gets tough, I almost always resort to a DOS prompt....there really is no replacement for the command line at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.