1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is liquid cooling worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slickrick214, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Slickrick214

Slickrick214 Thread Starter

I'll be starting my pc build soon but I had a question for you guys. Do you think water cooling is worth the money? I was looking at the Corsair H100 cpu cooler on new egg -http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017. People have said good things about it on the reviews. Also I have read on other forums where people claim they were able to overclock thier cpu higher because water cooling does a better job cooling then aftermarket fans. If this is true then it seems like its not such a bad thing to have.

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

It is worth it if it is your only recourse for what you want to do with your system.

Otherwise, it isn't worth it.

Yes, you will get better cooling. Yes, this will allow you to overclock higher than you could with air cooling.

But, it raises your cost. It raises your complexity. And, it provides a system that can fail in a fashion that destroys the rest of your system. If you spring a coolant leak and get it on your mobo, drives, and plugged-in cards, those devices could all be ruined.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. But, then, I tend to build systems for the long term. Though I overclock, I only do it modestly. I have learned how to build a system that is quiet, even with many fans in it. So I wouldn't do it.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

The LCLC (low cost liquid cooling) system you are considering is really not much of a liquid cooler. It's a sealed loop system that cannot be field serviced. Most of the LCLC units you see advertised are rebadged systems manufactured by this company. http://www.asetek.com/

If you want a real system you can go here;

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g30/Liquid_Cooling.html

and configure a "real" liquid cooling system, however they are not cheap.

4. valis

valis Moderator

I'd vote 'no'.....for a home rig, very, very rarely do you run across something that requires water cooling. Get a custom case with enough room for a half-dozen fans and you'll be fine and save a few bucks.

5. Slickrick214

So for something like that its not all pre built like the Corsair listed above. Pretty much you order each part (water pump, radiator, tubing, water block...) and then custom install it to your computer?

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Yes, it's just like building your own computer from individual parts.

7. Slickrick214

Ok for now I think I'll just go with the Hyper 212 fan and wait to see how that goes.

8. Slickrick214

IF I decided to actually do the water cooling thing is there any good books, websites, video's to read/watch that tell you everything about water cooling. I want to know how to create loops, 1 loop vs 3 loops, T lines just everything.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1018566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice