1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is mcafee 2007 AV secure?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by jrx10, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Thread Starter

I run mcafee 2007 av because my isp provides it free. about 3 weeks ago on an update of 2006, I saw where mcafee 2007 was available. I installed it thinking it would uninstall 2006. I've had a minimum of 12 mcafee programs trying to access the internet thru my FW, even though I've got mcafee set on 'manual update'. I finally got tired of mcafee programs constantly trying to access the 'net, so I contacted mcafee by chat and they said the reason was because 2006 wasn't uninstalled and it was trying to access the internet. I then uninstalled both mcafee 2006 and 2007 (which is what they suggested)...and then removed the mcafee programs from my firewall, and downloaded a new install of mcafee 2007, just to see if infact this was the problem. I immediately configured mcafee so "auto-updates' would be turned off. after checking once for an update, mcafee confirmed that no update was needed, I was current.--ok. it's been 2 hours and 6 mcafee programs (it's now up to 8 different mcafee programs trying to access the internet with this last log-on ) have tried to access the internet thru my firewall, even though I have auto-updates turned off. I requested a list of mcafee programs authorized to access the internet from mcafee chat and got the total run-a-round....they said they would all have 'net access....then I was abruptly cut off chat. jmho, but something's wrong here. when you uncheck auto-updates, shouldn't the program honor your setting and stay quiet? perhaps this is normal, but I've never had another mal-ware program not honor my preference to do manual updates.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice