1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my 5900xt dead? Or is it not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kalmarath, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

Okay this is what's been happening to my system.
    I bought myself a MSI 59xt few months back and it works perfectly fine, i even o/clocked it from 390/700 to 425/750 and it runs Doom3 smoothly (even John Carmack said that overclocking your card is not a good idea for doom3 but mine was fine).

And then just recently i changed my CPU from an old AMD Athlon XP 1500+ to an unlock 2600+ Barton, my 59xt gives me crappy colors, and the stupid colors keep changing whenever i click on "nVivia analog display properties". The driver im using is 61.77, 61.76 and 56.63, same problem but when i tried 53.03 everything was okay! :(

so i thought why not try my card on my roomie's comp, 56.63 worked out fine, thought i didn't try other newer drivers.

Even i tried a fresh install of WinXP pro (formated everything) the problem is still there... i'm affraid that my card is dead or something but i just need some clarifications?

I might have knocked the card though while changing my CPU, but they cant be that fragile...can they?

any ideas? Thanks lots...

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you can damage a video card by hitting it. You may have damaged one of the capacitors that are on the card. Since this problem started when you swapped processors, are you sure your board supports the barton core? Have you swapped back to the 1500+ to see if the problem is still there?

BTW potential damage to parts is why I always pull the board when changing an amd processor. While it is possible to do the job with the board in the case, you run the risk of slipping with a screwdriver while putting on the hsf. It is also difficult to position the hsf correctly when the board is in the case.

3. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

Well My mobo is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, does this board support Barton?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes it does.

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

FYI:
    The cpu is supported for you motherboard. Which max's out with a 3200 barton.

You mentioned using the card in your friends computer. Now was this before or after you supposedly hit the card. If it was before, this is obviously telling us that something is up with your system if indeed the card worked fine in your friends pc.

At this point i have to ask are you overclocking the processor? Just for sake of it if your overclocking change it back to default settings and see if your problem still exists.

6. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

I tested my 59xt on my friend's comp just after i had problems with it. No i didnt overclock my Barton yet, but i did on my 59xt which was before i reformated my system.

I suspect it's the changes i made, from AMD 1500+ to a Barton core, but i dunno what to do. maybe i should reset everything in my BIOS?

And I found out that, the reason why i was able to use the old driver (53.03, i think) was because old drivers dont come with the "Color Option" in nVidia's analog display properties. Usually we set the color settings to "standard Mode" right? But that vertical slope you see in that black boxed box went crazy instead of a nice slope, unless if i were to change from standard mode to "Advance Mode", doing that my colors are more stable though, but still flickers in games.. But my 59xt worked well on my roomie's comp with 56.63, which comes with that Color option!..

any ideas?... thanks..

7. rockinmale

rockinmale

Here are some other options to consider.
    What display do you have?
    What screen resolution are you currently using and what's the refresh rate? Flickering usually occurs when the refresh rate is set too low. Try setting it @ 85hz. Also try different screen resolutions. You could be using settings that your monitor cant handle.

Since it worked on your friends pc. It wouldnt hurt to try his monitor on your computer and see if the problem still exists.

FYI
    Im not a big overclocker fan when it comes to video cards but without additional hardware to keep the card running cool. I wouldnt attempt to overclock it.

8. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

okay i've been using my same old 17" compaq monitor when i was still using my 1500+ with my MSI 59xt and i run games at 1024x768, doom3 at 800x600. And my desktop is at 1152x864 without problems... all at 75hz
    The crappy colors came when i change my CPU...

ya could be my monitor.. i'll try to exchange it with my friend's and see..

9. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

okay i've tried changing my monitor.. still the same.
    I tried to revert back to the old 53.03 that worked for me before yesterday and now, my system doesnt wanna go into windows :( Whenever the blue loading bar finishes checking my hardwares, the HDD then gives a "tik tak" (its like when you turn on your comp) and my system restarts, cant get into windows no more.

any ideas?

thanks

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, I just reread your post and I think I see the problem.
    The 2600+ is a 333 fsb processor; you are overclocking your ram by quite a bit. I believe your board will allow asynchronous operation of the ram ie you can set the ram speed lower than the fsb speed. Set your ram to the correct speed [266] and see if that helps matters.

BTW you will be loosing quite a bit of performance by using the slower ram.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I just checked Asus's site and yes you can set the memory speed differently than the fsb speed.

I think that will correct your problem.

12. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

Oh wow thanks lots.. ;)
    But.. how do i change my ram's speed to 266?..

thanks again...

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is a setting in the bios. I do not have an Asus board here now, so I cannot tell you exactly where the setting is in the bios. Check your manual.

BTW it would be better to get the proper speed ram. Running this way will be a performance bottle neck.

14. Kalmarath

Kalmarath Thread Starter

Okay i just got myself a piece of KVR 512 DDR400 D-43 rams and the problem still persists :(

i'll post some screen shots..

this is what will happen if i set my "color correction" to standard mode
    http://server5.uploadit.org/files/kalmarath-crappycolors.JPG
    http://server5.uploadit.org/files/kalmarath-crappycolors2.JPG

but when i set it to Advace mode, my colors are stable abit unless i move my mouse into those empty black boxes ..
    http://server5.uploadit.org/files/kalmarath-crappycolors4.JPG
    At first i thought, "hey since the advance mode works for me why not i just stick with it", but no i cant play any games with it, some part of the the screen flickers and hangs later on..

And why is the color stable after taking screen shots of my desktop? I mean, the colors are suppose to be very crappy..

any ideas? thanks ;)

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you tried swapping your processor back to the 1500+ to see if the problem still persists?

I think you posted earlier that you tried the card in another system, is that correct?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice