1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is my board blown?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inferlogic, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. inferlogic

inferlogic Thread Starter

hi ive just retrieved a motherboard from work and assebled it in a case but it doesnt seem boot. when i turn on the power at at the back of the case the keyboard lights light up for a second then go off, i try the power switch no power to the pc, and then i look at the board insdie the computer and see a red LED illuminated there, but nothing seems to power. is my board blown? or would this not happen on a blown board

thanks

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Recheck the wireing . . particularly the wireing from the on/off switch and the board . . the red light is a good sign . . it means the board has power.

wrs

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

And always try a board outside the case before you install it, especially a used board. If you are grounding somewhere on the case you would have exactly the problem you are having now.

You may have to pull the board and try it outside the case on a non conductive surface. If it posts outside the case you were grounding somewhere. Try loosening the screws to the board and shifting it a bit inside the case first. You might get lucky.

4. inferlogic

inferlogic Thread Starter

you say try it on a non conductive surface? does that mean I can put it on the motherboards box just outside the case? because theres only so far the wires will reach when pulling it away from the case.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually, that could be a bad sign too. I had one board that gave me, I think, 3 or 4 little lights in a row. Whatever lights were lit was the exact code to a bad cpu :(

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice