1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my burner broke or is it the Media?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Customgraffiti, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Customgraffiti

Customgraffiti Thread Starter

Hello tech people, in September I purchased a HP cd writer 9300 series at first it was great no problems at all with the hardware or software. Everything was Groooovy I eventually came to like TDk 80 min. CD-R media to record cds on. They were perfect. Well, just the other day my hard drive had to be replaced because it had some damaged sectors and clusters and I wanted to upgrade. So I called the manufacturer of my pc and ordered one. I installed it and everything seemed to work fine except my hp cd burner. Mind you it seems to function properly untill it gets to the writing process and then it says it had an error recording becuase the media is highspeed media and the drive does not support the media so I must purchase new cds to burn. However these are the same exact brand I have been using since late September and I think it may be a problem with my burner.
    1) It does have an option of 1x-10x so why is it saying it cant write fast enough?
    2) It will write on Imation cd-rw but it takes 20 min and I am used to about 8min. 35sec. or so. Why the slow down?
    3) Could it be the media? I mean, I used the same cds for about 2 months and all of the sudden the drive doesn't like them any more or what?
    4) I would really appreciate any help I can get on this subject I thank you for your time.

2. TheGrimLife

TheGrimLife

Now, I could be wrong. My guesses are that you didn't buy a Hard Drive with DMA (Direct Memory Access)? That probably won't matter, but I'm sure someone else would gladly correct me.
    Maybe your HD's rpm is up to par?

Check your hardware performance. If it is DMA, you might need to access this feature on your HD.

I can't recall at this moment where the access button is, sorry

3. Customgraffiti

Customgraffiti Thread Starter

Hey Grim, thank you for the good (guess) you were right on the money. I new where the dma was and enabled it on the burner and then it has worked just like it did before. The reason I didn't try that sooner was becuase I had no clue what it was for. Thanx man -out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice