1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my CD-ROM drive toast?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by booskii, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. booskii

booskii Thread Starter

I've had problems with my cdrom drive for months, I rarely use it, but the problem has gotten worse. It started out not reading music CD's and now it wont read any CD's. I've tried deleting the driver and reinstalling (letting windows xp find it as I dont have any driver disks), I've also tried physically unplugging and replugging the CD drive in. Didn't do a thing. What else can I do to fix this? Thanks for your help,

Karen

2. Moby

Moby

How does the drive look in device manager, any exclamation marks?
    In device manager, select the drive, click properties, settings, make sure 'disconnect' isn't checked, and 'auto insert' is.
    Then try a a cleaning CD in the drive to clean the lense, and that's me out of ideas.

Attached Files:

3. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

no special driver required.

xp installs a generic atapi driver as it sees/installs/tells you it found new hardware the cd should work but they do die.
    it won't read music/data cd's, even though they show up in my computer/windows explorer/bios as it boots.

control panel/device manager/dvd-cd drives will probably tell you it's working properly.

remove the drive in dm, reboot and see if it will recognize the cd and work.:cool:

4. booskii

booskii Thread Starter

Moby...

In my device mgr.. no exclamation marks.
    In device mgr under properties there is no settings tab let alone disconnect or auto insert.
    I tried cleaning the lens.. didnt help, but thanks for your input :)

Da Island Boy... I have no idea what you're talking about other than that Win XP has a generic driver. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, still no results.

When you said "remove the drive in dm, reboot and see if it will recognize the cd and work".. I'm sorry but I dont know what "dm" means.

*still scratchin my head* lol

Karen

5. cavtek

cavtek

booskii, dm is...device manager...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice