1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my cmputer overheating?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mjdpwnr, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjdpwnr

mjdpwnr Thread Starter

I recently bought Watch_Dogs and tried to play it on my computer. It worked fine at first, but my computer soon got very loud and hot. It does not run well at all whenever i play it now. This also applies to other games. I find this odd, because my system is easily good enough to run all my games, yet they have terrible performance. I checked the temperature of my gpu, and it maxed out at about 80 Celsius. I am worried that i have caused permanent damage. Could it be a lack of fans? Or perhaps my power supply is too small? How would i fix this issue? Thanks!
    Specs:
    ASRock Z77 Extreme3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    14 Gigs of Ram
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
    i7 2600k
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (For fan info)
    550 watt power supply (which i think may be the problem)

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Hi mjdpwnr and welcome, What is the brand and model of your PSU? Also what other games are you trying to play. You don't have to list them all just the more aggressive ones. The PSU is the first thing that came to mind as I read your post too.

3. mjdpwnr

mjdpwnr Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the welcome!
    1) I dont have the box for my psu, is there a way i can check that on my computer?
    2) The aggressive games i play are watch_dogs, assassins creed 4, the forest, red orchestra 2, and Rome 2 total war

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

If you open your case it should say right on the PSU

5. mjdpwnr

mjdpwnr Thread Starter

Gotcha. I have the cooler master 550 watt psu. The product number is RS-550-PCAR-E3

6. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Cooler Master isn't a top brand but have some good products. I would suggest something like a Corsair (personal favorite) and not less that 750 Watts. I wasn't able to find a minimum power requirement for Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed.

It's also possible that your GPU may not be strong enough either but I'll let an expert weigh in on that.

7. mjdpwnr

mjdpwnr Thread Starter

Okay, so uprading my psu should fix it. My gpu is strong enough to play these games, btw.
    Last question, does it seem at all like ive caused permanent damage?

8. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

A couple questions, how long has it run possibly overheated? Did you stop right away when it started getting loud? Do you hear fans running? How many fans do you have on your tower?

9. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Agreed that the PSU is a weak point, I wouldn't run that system on a good quality 550w unit myself, personally I never go below 650w units for a gaming rig, probably higher depending on the GPU.

What software are you using to check the temperatures?
    What are the temperatures for the CPU aswell?
    What are the listed outputs for the +12v, +5v and +3.3v rails (assuming your monitoring software tells you).
    Are your heatsinks and fans clean and clear for dust and dirt?

10. mjdpwnr

mjdpwnr Thread Starter

1) Hey, sorry I am late with the reply. I use HW monitor, which can be found here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html
    2) The temperatures for the cpu maxed out at 70 degrees, but usually stay in the 60 degree range.
    3) I wasn't able to find that anywhere
    4) Yes, it is clear of dust and dirt
    Thanks!

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I wouldn't use HWMonitor myself, it used to be good but is getting old now and can be unreliable. IF those temps are accurate then you should be OK, but worth checking. Try Speccy for example.

100C is not normal by any means, I would be seriously concerned with any GPU that reaches that sort of temp. Just because the machine doesn't shut down doesn't mean its acceptable (or healthy for the GPU). The vast majority of GPUs shouldn't go over 70-80C tops when under load as long as they are cooled correctly.

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Just because a CPU has a thermal spec up or over 100C doesn't mean it is a good idea to run it at those temps, under normal circumstances and with adequate cooling they will never get close to their rated thermal specs (and never should). :D(y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!