1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my computer overheating?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MikeSwim07, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeSwim07

MikeSwim07 Thread Starter

Hi,

I think my computer may be overheating because it randomly turns off sometimes when I am using it. How can i determine if its overheating and what can I do about it?

Thanks!

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

You could install Lavalys and then you can see how high the temps are then go from there. Or buy a can of compressed air and blow out the cobwebs and dust.

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

3. MikeSwim07

It is hovering in the 90s Celsius when I am playing games. This seems too high to me

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you are talking about your Celeron 2.4Ghz cpu, then yes 90C is too high.

Use compressed can air and clear out the dust on your cpu heatsink and fan. If there are any other heatsinks, clear them out as well.

Did you overclock your system ?

As a temporary measure, you can take off the computer case cover, that will allow cold air to go into the system. You might think about buying another better performing cpu heatsink+fan. This site sells these things and have been around for a while: http://www.frostytech.com/

5. alinxie

alinxie

take the outside cover off carry the machine to your porch,balcany whatever take a hair dryer set on cool and blow the dust and cobwebs out,take back inside clean the vents on the case leave one side off and make sure the thing has pleanty of room to breath and you should be fine.:cool:

6. MikeSwim07

I have a laptop so I am not really sure how to do that.

7. MikeSwim07

Still have this issue

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The computer in your profile is a desktop, and most people "game" on desktops so that's probably why it was assumed you're using a desktop. Obviously you can't open the "case" on a laptop and still run it, so you can disregard that suggestion.

It could certainly be overheating. If it completely powers off only when using processor / graphics intensive applications, I'd say that's what's happening. How old is the laptop? Have you tried blowing out the fans with compressed air? Does it have sufficient horsepower (processor / graphics) to play the games you're attempting to play? Is it a gaming laptop?

There aren't many options for additional cooling with a laptop. You could try a cooling mat. If the laptop is outdated and/or the games are new and demanding, you need a more capable system.

9. vpaturi

vpaturi

My gateway used to shut down randomly also, even during non intensive sessions like just browsing on the internet. A can of compressed air did the trick for me. I opened up the laptop and used the spray, the problem has not come back.

10. MikeSwim07

Oops, that is my other computer. This laptop is only about 2 years old. It has 4g RAM, 1.9 GHz processor. I think it is not really a gaming laptop, more of a "entertainment" one. But I am only playing browser games, not memory intensive game.

I have not tried compressed air. I am suspecting that it just has bad/cheap parts which is why it is overheating. I definitely think it is overheating though because the surface I am using it on is ~1 in thick and I can feel the heat through it...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice