1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my computer safe?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by KateB, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KateB

KateB Thread Starter

I use Nortons Antivirus 2002 and Internet Explorer's (version 6) firewall. I did this security test which I know is probably a bit biased. It reccomended me buying 'Norton security' and getting a personal? firewall. The results showed that these ports were vulnerable to:

hacker exposure

ICMP Ping Ping. Ping is a network troubleshooting utility. It asks your computer to acknowledge its existence. If your computer responds positively to a ping, hackers are more likely to target your computer.

23 Telnet. Telnet can be used to log into your computer from a terminal anywhere in the world. This port should be open only if you're running a Telnet server.

80 HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol). HTTP is used to transfer Web pages over the Internet. Port 80 should be open only if you're running a Web server.

trojan horses

1025 Unused Windows Services Block
    54321 Back Orifice 2000
    60000 DeepThroat

I also did the pcpitstop test which only reported 'minor problems' in the hard-drive and Internet Explorer. There were still a few things I didn't understand though like my OS identifying itself as 'Windows NT' when it's actually 'Windows XP'.

I'd like to try AVG but would Nortons not be needed at all then? I renewed the virus definitions subscription a few months ago as I thought my computer was being protected.

I don't know how serious these problems are or what I should do about them :confused:

2. DummFounded

DummFounded

Personnally i would use a different firewall. Can get free ones all over the place. I use ZoneAlarm, I've had a few spyware probs but all attributable to other people using my computer. Tried to run the Norton security test and it will not even run because of my firewall.

Always remember, your computer is never 100% safe. There will always be holes somewhere. Just play it smart and you should be fine enough.

3. mobo

mobo

4. KateB

KateB Thread Starter

Firewall Penetrated!

LeakTest WAS ABLE to connect to
    the main GRC.COM Web Server!

LeakTest was not prevented from connecting to the Gibson Research web server. You either have no firewall, you have deliberately allowed LeakTest to connect outbound, or (if neither of those), LeakTest has just slipped past your firewall's outbound "protection", if any.

I recently installed Windows XP service pack 2. Are there any conflicts between that and ZoneAlarm?

5. DummFounded

DummFounded

Not that i have come across, but i have only had SP2 update for about a week.

6. DummFounded

DummFounded

passed leaktest with my zonealarm running.

7. mobo

mobo

There have been a few instances of users repoorting troubles with xp sp2 firewall and zone alarm running together so watch for that.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice