1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Is my computer secure if I’m connected to the cloud?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Tom Seeley, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

Unbelievably naive question but I want to understand so I’ll aks.

I use a desktop Dell with Windows 10. I may have at one time done something to my iPhone running Apple iOS that means I’m using iCloud, but I really don’t inderstand it very well.

If I am in some way connecting my dell desktop to iCloud, does that create a way for anyone else using iCloud to access any of my data either in iCloud or, more importantly to me here, only on my desktop’s hard drive?

My concern here is to know if using iCloud in any way creates some sort of back door, through which any third party could gain access to anything on my computer that I have NOT also stored in the cloud. And my question would also apply if I were talking about being connected to some other cloud like Google Drive or Dropbox, etc.

Thx, and I’m sorry for being so out of touch with modern technology!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you give them your password or they figure out your password because it's easy to guess then they could access what you have in your iCloud account or any other account. If you share your account or a folder in your account such as is possible with DropBox or Google Drive then they would have access to what you shared. Otherwise having an iCloud account and not sharing the password or a sharing a folder does not give other people access to your stuff in that account. They would not get access to you computer through your iCloud account or any other online cloud storage service.

3. Tom Seeley

Tom Seeley Thread Starter

Thank you very much! I understand your explanation and it is exactly what I wanted to know!

4. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

In general, if you practice common sense security, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

But....and this is more for an academic discussion since this topic might be part of someone's search...any time you use a virtualized environment such as a cloud service, there are security concerns. One of the fears is if some hacker can exploit the underlying host OS by breaking out of the guest OS/environment they are entering from. There are numerous technologies and products out there which attempt to minimize this possible situation. VMware has enhanced their vSphere environment to have built in firewall gates in an attempt to prevent hackers from hopping from one VM to another. This is also why the US Federal Government requires any cloud service which is providing services to be FEDRAMP certified. Yes, there is a specific security certification for which a cloud service must pass before claiming compliance. Another Federal certification is FISMA.

I just hope with the increased adoption of cloud services that there is a minimum security standard for which each of these providers must meet.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210020

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice