1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is My CPU Overheating?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axeil, Jul 2, 2003.

?

Is my CPU Overheating?

1. Definately/Probably

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Probably/Definately Not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axeil

axeil Thread Starter

Hello, I am running an Athalon XP 2100+. I suspect that my system is overheating giving me 0x24 error messages along with a lot of other ones.

When the system boots up the CPU temp is around 69-79 celsius. What does the average system run at and is this a level to be concerned with?

If I am overheating what kind of stuff should I buy to remedy it, in other words, recomendations for fans, heatsinks, etc.

Any help will be greatly appereciated

EDIT: Erm...I just checked the readings and it says that the CPU is 55 celsius and the chasis is 43 celsius...but then why would it say its so hot at startup....(by the way i checked this using the Soyo hardware monitor)

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That system at idle should be around 40 celsius, even under load it shouldn't approach those temps - 80 degrees is near the max before the CPU becomes unstable and damaged.

Invest in a better heatsink and fan and some good thermal paste. You may also need a case fan. Does your CPU fan work? Are you overclocking?

3. mobo

mobo

Triple 6 is right , that baby is running too hot.

4. axeil

axeil Thread Starter

The CPU fan does work, I've seen it run when I'm doing maintainance and need to check if the system is booting. In addition the chasis fan, the motherboard fan and the power supply fan all seem to be working properly. As I said earlier the Soyo hardware utility says that I seem to be running rather cooly.....but I'm confused as to why my system is so hot on startup.

Logically one of the readings has to be wrong, correct? Otherwise it really doesn't make sense...

5. active95

active95

With proper cooling an AMD XP 2100+ will run around 90 C at idle and 110 under full load. Room temp 75 - 80. When i say proper cooling is more then just a heatsink and a fan. Getting the cables and wires out of the air flow and using intake and outake fans.
    On a regular mid tower case with an Alpha 8045 and a Panflo 80 mm fan ( running at 1900 rpm mind you ), stock voltage at 1.675V and Panflo 80mm intake and outake fans.that's the temp that i achieve with a AMD
    In your case, i would suggest checking the voltage in BIOS and try to bring it down a notch or two ( i.e try and run it at 1.650 or 1.625 V , and see if you windows works fine, then invest $40 in a high quality AMD heatsink and fan, install intake and outakes fans and get the cables and wires under control.
    I choose the Alpha heatsink and Panflo fans because i hate to have the puter sound like a 747 at take off :D
    HTH

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

I'm assuming you meant Farenheit not celsius. Although for Farenheit those numbers are low.

That depends on what the ambient temperature is. There is no absolute.

What has to be ascertained is exactly what this temp really is. Some newer AMD mobo's actrually report the internal chip temp (the new AMD's have a built in sensor). Most report 'chip edge ' temps.

As an example my Soltek mobo shows 4 temps:

Internal chip temp is currently: 58c
    chip edge (what most report): 44c
    case temp: 30c
    mobo temp: 38c

Under heavy load (gaming) my rig will hit about 52c (chip edge). Note, part of this rise is due to the case temps rising due to the heat generated by the vid card.

If your rig is reporting the internal sensor reading, you are alright, but if it the usual chip edge temp, you are running a bit hot.

To test for overheating problems, pull the case and set a fan of some sort blowing into your rig to see if that solves your error problems (although usually an overheated AMD cpu will reboot).

Did you install the HSF? Maybe you should reinstall it. Fancy pastes are usually not needed, any brand will work. The best thing is to have a nice smooth HS. You may want to touch it up with some 600 grit sandpaper followed by 1000- 1500 grit. Set the paper on something flat like a piece of glass and work the HS in a circular pattern.

You didn't mention if you had any case fans. Rear exhausts are the most important, front intakes seldom help and in some cases can actually be counterproductive. It's also best to keep the case in the open, not in some cubby hole or up against a wall.

If your case is overheating you should address that problem first, fancy/expensive HSF's are seldom needed unless you are overclocking.

7. active95

active95

oops, you're right MysticEyes :D.. it's F not celsius.. :D. And acctually if you do it right ( as i mention , keeping the rats nest under control , on a 75-80 F room temp i achive that , again using a high quality heatsink not standard AMD heatsink <which work fine , but not able to keep the temp at 90-110> )
    Out of curiosity i used ( same setup ) a stock AMD heatsink ( the one that cames with the retail package ) and idle temp was 110 , under full load gets to about 130.
    Tested the same setup with an Alpha Pal 6035 and the temp at idle is around 95 and under full load gets to about 118.
    At least to me , a high quality heatsink does make a difference ( not to step on anyones toes, just sharing my tests :D )

8. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What you say makes sense Active, I'm using a $12 Coolermaster HSF (very quiet) and as such am running a bit hotter than you, but well within spec with no stability problems.

9. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I know a lot of people say you can get by with the stock heat sink, but I'm one of those people that swear by a thin layer of Artic silver and a decent heatsink. I've never had a Athlon XP run over 40 C at idle, except after overclocking. In fact, I've really never had one run over 35C at idle, except after overclocking. If I did, I'd trash the sink, clean the core, reappy the Artic and get a different sink on it.

10. axeil

axeil Thread Starter

Alright I just took these readings with all fans enabled and the side of the computer off to ease airflow. Here's what the BIOS told me:

Vcore: 1.74V
    +3.3V: 3.29V
    +5V: 4.99V
    +12V: 12.48V
    DDR Voltage: 2.48V
    AGP Voltage: 1.47V
    CPU Temp External: 49 degrees Celsius
    CHA Temp: 36 degrees Celsius
    CPU Temp On Die: 74 DEGREES CELSIUS
    CPUFAN1 Speed: 4821 RPM
    CHAFAN1 Speed: 2678 RPM

I also took these readings with the case on and they were at the same or within 1-2 degrees celsius of those readings. I'm very worried about that 74 degree reading on the die. Is that normal?

11. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I believe we've all been telling you that it's not normal. Not trying to be rude. I wouldn't run it at that temp.

12. axeil

axeil Thread Starter

Its alright, I know you're not trying to be rude. I'm going to order a new CPU Fan and maybe get some better chasis fans. Thanks for your help, all of you.

13. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

could be just a matter of switching thermal tape for some good paste, or reseating the sink. Pull the sink (carefully) and check what's under there first.

14. active95

active95

Like i mentioned in my previuos post... get into the BIOS and reduce the core voltage .. from 1.75 V ( which you are running it now to 1.725 V first and if its stable ( not freezing ) try and reduce it more all the way 1.650V . It seems that the core voltage is running a bit high
    HTH

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

1.75 is the correct voltage for that chip.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/144075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice