1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my domain compromised?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by qpqpzmzm, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

I own my own domain and have two problems.

- First the amount of spam I am getting has sky rocketed to about 50 pieces a day. Can anything be done to realistically reduce this?

- Second much of the spam seems to be coming from my very own domain as it is sent from XYZ [email protected]. Are they sending through my host/account? Is there something I need to do to close the host/account to spammers?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

I use OUtlook and have AVG free edition.

2. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

This sounds like a spoofing issue, in which, the person(s) are either impersonating your domain, or they actually are relaying through your server...

Are you using Exchange or is your email hosted somewhere else?

3. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

My mail is hosted by an ISP.

Can they spoof such that when you click on the 'sent from' it genuinely shows that it came from your domain?

How much time would it take them to specifically target me with my own domain? Do they do that individually for everyone? Or would they be just spamming out in general with my domain and I am receiving them as others would be?

4. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

Well, I can foresee a couple of scenarios...

One: You have malware on your system, and your actual computer is sending out emails. I would do a sweep of your system using Spy-Bot, Windows Defender, or Ad-Aware.

Two: They (the person or persons) are relaying through your host. I would bring this up to your host in either case. See if they have records of these emails coming through their servers.

But be sure to check your machine anyway, if you haven't already.

Cheers!

5. qpqpzmzm

qpqpzmzm Thread Starter

thx. I do weekly scans with both SpyBot and Ad-Aware and my AVG does nightly checks of my system. I am pretty sure I am clean.

I will contact my ISP and have them check my domain as I would hate to be enabling the spammers.

6. JESEDIA

JESEDIA

Sounds good!

7. cpscdave

cpscdave

The from field in a email has little or no enforcement on it.

Bassically what I mean is you pretty much can set it as anything as you want.

So chances are your domain is clean. What you would want to do is look at the header information to see whath hops along the way the email goes thru.

If its only a couple the it could be coming from you, but most likely you'll find out that it is just spoofing your domain.

I would think that on average people are more likely to read email that comes from within their domain.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/623041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice