1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my external IP my router or modem's address?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daling, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daling

daling Thread Starter

Assuming they are two separate units and not bridged.
    When you ping, tracert or DDoS attack or what-have-you my IP address, who/what do you reach ?
    Im understanding that a modem is just a media converter. It's got no IP address of its own.
    But then Wikipedia states (under "cable modem"): "With respect to the OSI model of network design, a cable modem is both Physical Layer (Layer 1) device and a Data Link Layer (Layer 2) forwarder. As an IP addressable network node, cable modems support functionality at other layers...] ...The Network Layer (Layer 3) is implemented as an IP host in that it has its own IP address used by the network operator to maintain the device."
    If it's not the modem's ip address, are they referring to TR-69..?
    A scan of an ISP subnet (e.g NMAP) returns/reaches routers or modems?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The modems that I have had have each been accessed from the LAN side via 192.168.100.1.

Normally access via public IP from the ISP side goes directly to the router (or other device) connected to the modem. But ISPs can access the modem--maybe using public IP and a specific port, but maybe they have another way to address the modem.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    To the consumer the modem is just a gateway. The external IP is your WAN port on the CPE, whether it's the router or computer.

Terry, ISPs have a separate private IP address to access the modem. This IP is not visible outside of the ISP. (at least that's how it was for me)

(why do i feel this is more of a homework question o_O)

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks, James.

5. daling

daling Thread Starter

Thanks, James.
    Not homework (wish I was that young). Been trying to understand and get a clear answer to this somewhat trivial question.
    BTW, lots of modems can be accessed (from internal network) via 192.168.100.1. Tried it myself yesterday.
    So nothing 'stops' at the modem and everything reaches the router?
    Do you know if a tracert gets a response from the modem as well?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1200312

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice