1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my graphics card good enough for Win 7 ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobb4ku, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

I currently have the GeForce FX 5500...256MB...supports DirectX 9.0...after researching Win 7 requirements my system meets-surpass' all min requirements except that Win7 requires DirectX 10.0 and above...my question, is DirectX 10.0 (or 9.0) just for games ? Can I upgrade without a new video card ?

Thanks for your time-replies :)

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The NVIDIA drivers site confirms the GeForce FX 5500 is not supported by Windows Vista or Windows 7.

Is your computer a desktop, and does it have an AGP 4x/8x slot or a PCI Express x16 slot for adding a video card?

-------------------------------------------------------------

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Natively that is. The drivers can be downloaded as a Google will confirm.

5. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

You can run Windows 7 on ancient graphics cards. Usually Windows has generic drivers if the manufacturer doesn't (in this case Nvidia). It just may run at a weird resolution, AND/OR have slow animations (you will probably need to disable them). CPU/RAM are more important for the O/S.

6. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Yes it will use the Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, but the problem with that is anything flash based will cause crashes or instability. Almost every site uses flash in some form or another so even surfing the web can lead to problems. Manufactures make drivers for a reason!

7. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

FlashBlock ;)

Though seriously, if you have to use Windows 7 it will work. It will probably work okay but there's no guarantee.

Trying to run a new OS on old hardware is likely to be painful. You would be far better off with a OS designed for your card, ie Windows XP. Or, even better, upgrade your card.

8. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

Amd_Man....good idea but I crashed XP by "supposedly" cleaning it...I'm asking help via my Linux HD...I cant even access XP via Safe Mode...so obviously I cant run the advisory...do not want to rebuild XP and all those thousands of updates-fixes so I thought it would be easier to upgrade the OS...but it looks like from the replies that I will have to upgrade both card and OS :(

9. bobb4ku

bobb4ku Thread Starter

Thanks dave will google drivers for my card..hopefully the driver will support DirectX 10

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Well you never once mentioned you could not get into Windows so how was I supposed to know!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084429

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice