1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my graphics card ruined? If not how can I fix this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kropenhanger, Jul 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kropenhanger

Kropenhanger Thread Starter

I have a problem with my computer. About 4 years ago I build myself a decent gaming computer and it had been working very great. Today I wanted to “de-dust” my computer and generally remove dust from everywhere inside of it. When I went to turn on the computer again, it’s stuck after the “starting windows” screen. I guess there is something wrong with my graphics card, since these blue stripes appears as well. I just wanted your confirmation.

Best regards Rasmus from Denmark.

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

How did you achieve this task? Have you tried reseating the graphics card? Does the motherboard have onboard graphics? If so, could you try removing the graphics card, using onboard, and then seeing if it will boot properly?

3. Kropenhanger

I tried that yes... nothing has worked so far

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Tried what, specifically? All the options I recommend? In addition, how did you "dedust" the PC?

5. Kropenhanger

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit imprecise, my English is not perfect since I'm from Denmark. I tried all the options that you recommended, this including reseating the graphics card and booting with another graphics card. None of these suggestions solved my problem.
    When i "dedusted" my computer I used an air spray on the hardware itself and a cloth on the free metal parts of the interior of the case.
    I hope this makes a bit more sense.

Rasmus

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Thank you for bearing with me, and I'm glad you can help with the explanation. Trust me: your English is far superior to my Danish!

I'm not saying it's a definitive answer, but there's the possibility you caused an electrostatic discharge by using a cloth inside the case. Another possibility is you've dislodged one or more cables, so I'd recommend you re-check them and ensure they're all connected properly.

7. Kropenhanger

Maybe that's what happened. As you can see in my other thread I'm buying a new computer tomorrow so I'm not that devastated tbh. Just too bad seeing my lovely r9 280x die like that I guess. Thanks again for your help.

8. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

You're welcome and good luck with the new build (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice