1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my GTX a 512?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RTHaworth, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RTHaworth

RTHaworth Thread Starter

I ordered a 7800 GTX 256. It arrived but looks like a 512 ie the fan is in the middle with two heat sinks either side with strange metal pipes flanking it. However, SiSoft's SANDRA says it has total memory of 256. Could this be a disabled 512 board?? Whats goin' on?!

2. winbob

winbob

3. RTHaworth

RTHaworth Thread Starter

Its the Second one. And YES! my real question is how the hell do i enable the other 256MB of graphic smashing power. Or can i add on a further 256 some how????????/ cheers for the reply, richard.

4. AvvY

AvvY

If the card comes with 256mb on the card, you CANNOT upgrade it. Unlike ram modules on a motherboard, the ram on a graphics card is fixed and not upgradeable. I did read an article about developing cards in the future which you could upgrade, but for now you can't.

Some cards can be unlocked to access extra pixel pipelines and such depending on the core type and model, but something that is physical like RAM cannot be unlocked/upgraded.

5. RTHaworth

RTHaworth Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. it still is a bit of a puzzle to me though. Has anyone else got a 256 GTX on what usually is a 512 board. does anyone know why this might have happened?? cheers.

6. brite750

brite750

no puzzle about it, its common practice to make one board for a variety of models, saves money. you dont phyisicaly have the ram chips on your card, you have the spots where they would go if it was the 512 model, nothing more, nothing to enable, why would they give you the ram, ram costs money.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice