1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my hard drive bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robwile, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robwile

robwile Thread Starter

My 233 mgh pentium II will not boot up without a
    boot disk in a:\ . Upon startup, it goes to Scandisk, which finds an error in the WIN95 registry that it can't repair, so it restarts. Again it tries to boot to safemode, but fails and tries to scandisk again. It continues this loop.

I decided to do a HLF on my 3GB hard drive to wipe it clean and reinstall WIN95. I boot with a boot disk to A:\ and type "FORMAT C:\" It churns for awhile until it returns the message "format terminated" and returns me to the dos prompt. All the files seem to be untouched.

Is my hard drive bad?

2. brianF

brianF

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Are you sure your hard disk is being properly recognized in the BIOS?

4. robwile

robwile Thread Starter

Yes, my BIOS recognizes the hard drive properly.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try creating a new boot disk....afterwards write protect it. Try to boot again with the newly created, write protected disk....then again, at the a: prompt type:

format c:
    and press enter

6. nomad

nomad

when I format my c drive drive I always do the following:

format c: /s /u

7. supertech

supertech

if it is a registry prob scandisc wont repair it.it dosent necessarilly mean your drive is bad.but i dont thiink you can do a scan reg restore on win95 you should think about upgrading to a newer os

8. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Run FDISK and see if the C drive is set active. If it is already, you may have a bad drive. I recommend you try to back up all user-created data immediately.

9. n2gun

n2gun

o lot of the hard drive manufactors have a utility program on their websites to check the hard drive. If you know the make, check their website for one.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice