1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my hard drive dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xpnctoc, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xpnctoc

xpnctoc Thread Starter

Greetings,

I'm building my own computer. This is the 4th time I've done it, and the other 3 worked just wonderfully.

With #4, I wanted to take the hard drive out of #3. I reformatted the thing to get a clean install of Windows going. However, Windows will not install. It tells me that scandisk detected errors. It tries to fix them, and then reports that scandisk must start from the beginning. On the next pass it detects the SAME errors.

The errors I'm getting are really scarey sounding. "Bad file allocation table", "media byte missing or corrupt", and "lost cluster found" Why is it finding lost clusters when I've reformatted the hard drive?

So the question is -- is my hard drive permanently, unrecoverably dead?

Thanks.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

xpnctoc
    Welcome to TSG!
    Have you tried Deleting the existing partitions on the harddrive first, Repatitioning and creating a new Dos partition, Formatting, then trying install? You may be running into MBR problems.

Let us know if that works for you.

Maybe other may have ideas to.

Dave

3. xpnctoc

xpnctoc Thread Starter

Dave,

I didn't have the disk partitioned into multiple drives, but I'll try deleting the primary DOS partition and reinstating it. Update to follow....

Thanks

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

xpnctoc
    You will be required to reformat again so be prepared. It should work for you.

Dave

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

There used to be a hard and fast rule that all hard disks should be FDisked and formatted after being connected to the board on which it was intended to run. Variations in board BIOSs required this. This rule is largely ignored today for one reason or another--mostly because the problem doesn't pop up as much as it used to; but, occasionally, it still does.

6. xpnctoc

xpnctoc Thread Starter

Hi again,

I tried deleting and reestablishing the primary partition, and reformatting. But the problem still exists.

I tried the same procedure with a hard drive from another one of my computers which I KNOW works. I had the SAME PROBLEM.

I tried switching EIDE cables as a just-in-case, I double-checked jumper settings. Nothing works.

I tried hooking the hard drive in question back into a different computer, and it reads fine. So I know my problem isn't with the hard drives.

Could it be a problem with the mainboard -- which I JUST BOUGHT!? I have an ECS K7S5A in both the computer that still works and the one that's giving me problems.

Thanks.

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

xpnctoc
    If you have followed all the numbers in Hard Drive prep and Motherboard setup, (You have set up a few the same now) then one would conclude MB problem.

Someone else may have some ideas to try but I suspect you hit on it.

Dave

PS: Some of the most difficult problems to solve are having a new part you conclude as good!

8. Rockn

Rockn

Scandisk doesn't actually fix a defective hard drive, all it does is mark the bad sectors so they will be ignored by the OS. Physical damage is physical damage and nothing will repair it. Just to be sure you might want to go to the hard drive manufacturers web site and download their disk diagnostics. If they fail then you know for sure if the drive is indeed defective.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And most have 3 year warranties.......and lately they've been replacing with larger capacities ;)

10. xpnctoc

xpnctoc Thread Starter

Hi again,

Yes, I understand what scandisk does. But I do not believe there is physical damage to my hard drive. As I said, I plugged it in to my other computer, and was able to read all my data off of it with no problem at all. And when I took another hard drive from my operational computer and put it into my dysfunctional computer, the hard drive no longer functioned. I would have to believe at this point that it's the mainboard that has the problem. Both computers have a K7S5A mainboard (by ECS) in them, but the one with the apparent problem I just bought last week. I think I'm going to send it back and ask for an exchange.

Thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118909

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice