1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my hard drive dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by southernlady, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. southernlady

southernlady Thread Starter

These two hard drives I have, the 30 gig and 20 gig are relatively OLD as in 3-4 years old. In the last 24 hours, I've notice screen freezes, a noise that isn't right as in a high pitched squeal and then it will all unfreeze. Yesterday, It would freeze so bad that I would have all my screens stop responding. I would have to go to Task Manager and end them. And then do a Cnt/Alt/Del. That didn't even work.

And you know how if you hit that twice, it's suppose to reboot? Well, not here. And during rebooting, it would FREEZE! I would have to do the *one fingered salute* to get it back up and running, which I HATE to do. But I did wait til it was technically off before turning it off.

If I was doing a normal reboot, it works fine. It's only during a screen freeze that we have the problem. Could my hard drive be biting the dust finally? I have taken precautions and gotten everything of importance off the computer already. If I can't replace it by going online or putting in a CD, it's on my husband's computer or burned onto a cd (or both) . I'm just afraid I'm losing my hard drive.

2. n2gun

n2gun

It does sound as if the hard drive is on its last legs. I would replace it. Seeing it is freezing and you can't get it to even reboot from windows, it most likely is your C drive that is going. Very doubtful they both are going bad at the same time.

3. southernlady

That's the problem...can't afford to replace it RIGHT at the moment :( I have an RMA on an 80 gig that went bad on me about 2 weeks ago that was almost brand new and I am working on getting it back. I am hoping to hold out til it gets here. But I guess I'm not gonna make it, am I? :eek: Thankfully, I do have a network and my husband has his for me to *borrow*. And I DO have the backup! Liz

4. n2gun

n2gun

If you have 2 hard drives you can remove the bad one. Then use the other as the primary, format it and reinstall windows on it. Make sure it is on the ens of the cable and set to master. As I said above I believe it is your primarry C: drive that is going>

5. southernlady

That's what I'm afraid of...that it's my C:drive and that's my 30 gig...which leaves me with a 20 gig. :( :( :( And NO SPARE! And it's OLD TOO! Liz

6. southernlady

Yeah, I know about setting the hard drive settings...I had to re-set these when I took the 80 gig out. We built this computer ourselves so I'm pretty familiar with it's innards. Liz

7. southernlady

Turns out, it wasn't my C: drive after all but my D: drive. and I've spent the better part of the day fixing and reformatting. I was almost up and running when I got BLUE screened on the Seagate (the old D: drive) so I put the old C: drive in with the Maxtor utility disk, did some looking around and discovered it was just fine. Swapped out and I am back up and it hasn't given me any more trouble. Liz

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/258722

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice