1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is My Hard Drve Failing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parrot0123, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Parrot0123

Parrot0123 Thread Starter

I've got a computer here running Windows Vista, and it keeps on telling me that the D drive is failing. So far I've just hit cancel and I've been making sure that everything on the drive is backed up. It's a 500 gigabyte drive, and it's not giving me the slightest problems. Files copy to and from the drive with no problem, and I just ran a full scan on the drive with the check disk utility, and it reported no bad sectors or anything.

Is this a false positive or should I be concerned?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you could let us know what the computer Specs are it would help. Where is it telling you the drive is failing? Is it a SMART Failure? If it is a SMART Failure then there is something to be concerned about. I would make sure that you have the drive Imaged to an external source or at least a separate Physical Hard drive. (There are some free programs for doing this depending on the Drive Maqnufacturer.) Then start shopping for a new hard drive.

3. Parrot0123

It's not giving me any specific information about the type of failure. The error message is very vague, even when I click to get extra details.

The computer's an Intel dual core 2 ghz machine

4. fodelement

fodelement

If it happens while in windows it could be that you have HDD defrager on your computer. Check your desktop for an icon that looks like this. http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/9021/defragicon.png

If you do, don't click it as it may be a virus, just post the name of the file.

5. Parrot0123

Sure. I'm attaching an image of the error message with this message. Let me know if you have any ideas.

Attached Files:

6. Parrot0123

I have Kaspersky installed, and I make sure to keep it updated and that it scans my drives regularly. I also make sure to keep my OS updated.

I'll install that application and let you know how it goes.

7. Parrot0123

I installed the CrystalDiskInfo software, and it seems to confirm that the hard drive is in poor health. I don't understand what it's telling me is wrong with the drive, though. I'm attaching a copy of the results, and I'd appreciate it if somebody could let me know what they mean.

Attached Files:

8. Parrot0123

I've never heard of a hard drive failing without manifesting any symptoms before. Can anybody clue me in from the diagnostics I posted as to what part of the drive is actually failing?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice