1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my harddrive dead or is it something else

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tylerhach, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

For about 3 months my computer has been having this stalling problem, and i've been able to keep it from getting bad by switching my sata port and cables. Slowly it got worse and worse, and now when i try to boot it up it just beeps a lot and gives me this error message saying disk boot failure please insert windows disk. I thought it might of been my motherboard so i plug ed it into my friends computer and it seemed to be working fin till it was about to load the windows login screen and just stayed black.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/610784-how-do-you-spot-failing.html#post5027977

that is a link to my previous post when i thought it was my motherboard

2. etaylor34

etaylor34

sounds like your hard drive to me, did you noticed it making an odd clicking noise recently or when you started noticing the problems?

3. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

when i started noticing the problem, the weird thing is, i basically unplugged and replugged in random things in my computers case. all of a sudden its like this problem never existed, and this isn't the first time this happened. last time this happened i managed to use my computer to full potential for about a day till it started screwing up again. WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT. i cant figure it out and I'm trying to explain it the best i can.

i really appreciate any help from anyone that has any idea or has gone through this before. thanks again

4. brite750

brite750

i would try d/l the hdd makers diag software, it runs w/o windows from a cd or 1.44floppy

5. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

i download the seagate diag software called seatools for windows, and i attempted to do a test and it gives me this error message:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the Application will close immediately.

The given path's format is not supported.

Here are the Details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.
    at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath)
    at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath)
    at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
    at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
    at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append)
    at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize)
    at System.IO.StreamWriter..ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileIO.FileSystem.WriteAllText(String file, String text, Boolean append, Encoding encoding)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.MyServices.FileSystemProxy.WriteAllText(String file, String text, Boolean append)
    at SeaToolsforWindows.UtilityFunctions.LogToFile(String filename, String message, deviceStruct device)
    at SeaToolsforWindows.frmSTXMain.Run_Script(Byte testFunction, String script)
    at SeaToolsforWindows.frmSTXMain.ShortDriveSelfTestToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    SeaToolsforWindows
    Assembly Version: 1.1.0.7
    Win32 Version: 1.1.0.7
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Seagate/SeaTools%20for%20Windows/SeaToolsforWindows.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    SeagateDriveControls
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Seagate/SeaTools%20for%20Windows/SeagateDriveControls.DLL
    SpawnCLR
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2658.20708
    Win32 Version:
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Seagate/SeaTools%20for%20Windows/SpawnCLR.DLL
    msvcm80
    Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.762
    Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.762
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700/msvcm80.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I dont know what any of that stuff mean really, but when i click continue nothing happens

6. brite750

brite750

how are you running seatools? from a floppy or a cd

7. brite750

brite750

what drive do you have that you are trying to test?
    read the model number off the drive

8. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

ok, i'm officially going to kill my self, this problem is unsolvable.

i bought a new hard drive since i figured i would try that, and things seemed to be pointing in that direction, so i did so, but to my dismay while i'm installing windows updates and all all of a sudden it stalls again. WOOO FREAKING HOO!!! so as im about to kick over my computer i decide to take a stick of ram out, and leave the other one in there, since there are 3 ports, i try all 3 ports with both sticks of ram. what happens is i cant load up windows, it gets to that black loading windows screen, and when it looks like its about to start up it restarts!!!!!! now im like oh screw this and i put the 2 sticks of ram back into my computer, and it doesnt change from when i took out 1 stick. so now i have a computer that cant load windows.

SO WHATS THE PROBLEM!??!? i dont understand!!! people keep telling me its not my motherboard because they say motherboards dont die slowly, and i dont think its my ram unless both sticks are broken which is highly unlikely.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

9. brite750

brite750

part of your problem is you are not following and direction that people are telling you, you were told to run memtest, i see no results of those test, you weretold to d/l and run your hdd diag software and burn a bootable cd or floppy again you tried to run it from windows and it didnt work. You are expecting some miracle answer and youre not going to get one, hw diagnosis is a slow methodical procedure, you have to have spare working parts, thats why most folks just take the darn thing to the shop. It would also help if you listed all of your hardware make & model numbers and if you would read through the trouble-shooting guide near the top of this forum to get some understanding of what may be involved in solving your hw issue.
    This problem sounds like it could be a number of things, your hd, your MB, your ram, your windows disk, one of you adapter cards, make sure when you are trying to install windows that you are doing it correctly, with stata drives you have to install drivers before windows can be installed, there is a point during windows setup that asked you to install sata drivers.

10. brite750

brite750

like this post for example: plugged what into your friends computer??? if you plug your hd into another pc it will not work as a boot drive so its no wonder that you got a black screen

11. brite750

brite750

then there is this post, you do not fix a pc by maddly switching cables around hoping to hit some magic combination, maybe you do have a bad cable or bad slot on the MB but you are never going to find it this way.

12. brite750

brite750

SO WHATS THE PROBLEM!??!? i dont understand!!! people keep telling me its not my motherboard because they say motherboards dont die slowly, and i dont think its my ram unless both sticks are broken which is highly unlikely.

actually yes MB can die slowly, they can die fast, they can do what ever they want, but you are not going to just guess at it.
    List your hw and make sure you have a real windows disk, not a burned copy

13. fincher

fincher

If you plug the HDD into other computer replacing the previous one, the OS wants to boot but it can't, cause there is an other hardware config. Just only the "naked" OS without any of installed drivers can boot easily on another configure. Try to use another distrib of OS. Tell please the m/b model. Try to INSTALL OS using your HDD on other machine. See if the temperature of m/b components is ok. If the m/b is an old one, see if there are some damages or bloated capacitors. If HDD is SATAII and the m/b supports SATA1, check the jumper on HDD (1,5Gb limit). Also, if HDD is SATA one, unplug all of IDE/PCI devices, use the chipset SATA-ports, try with another power supply (if it is cheap, weak or old) or try to switch off all of the unnecessary devices for to test

14. tylerhach

tylerhach Thread Starter

ok sorry for being so slow to reply, the computer i am on currently was down for a while but now it is fixed while my other one still remains ****ed.

I read what you said above and here is my specs

Hard Drive:

Barracuda 7200.7

120 gig

Model: ST3120026AS

Config: VEI-04

Firmware: 3.18

MotherBoard

Asus A7N8X (nVidia nForce II) Deluxe

Chipset: nVidia nForce II

Processor: Athlon XP FSB 100/133/166MHz
    Duron FSB 100MHz

Memory: PC1600/2100/2700/3200

HDD: UltraDMA/133

Seria:l ATA/RAID

Additional: 2 IEEE-1394
    Audio - nForce II
    6 USB 2.0
    2 x10/100M LAN
    The other specs im going to have to get back to you on, because i have to look them up.

In this time of need for a computer, i purchased another Asus A7N8X (nVidia nForce II) Deluxe, along with a brand new hard drive. as of right now neither have done anything.

The magic that i was talking about obviously isn't magic, but its the fact that if i leave my computer off for like a week, then i can turn it on for one day and it works as if nothing bad ever happened to it.

on think i noticed, and its probably nothing, but the fact that when i was transferring over the CPU from the new and old motherboards, the chip was detached from the heat sink i think, if thats what it's called.

Also, this probably doesn't matter either, but i did run seatools from a burned disk, at the beginning of start up. nothing happened, i told it to boot from disk and all too. I guessed i did something wrong.

Once again, i apologize if I'm being retarded, i do really want to get this fixed.

15. brite750

brite750

so you have a new hdd and a new MB now and what problem are you having?
    the clip not being on all the way would most likely make your cpu overheat and casue it to lock up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice