1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my Harddrive DEAD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dreadpyrat, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dreadpyrat

dreadpyrat Thread Starter

Hi all,
    yesterday, while trying to delete a file, I got "Cannot Delete, file in use" error and another error telling me that some file in the same folder was corrupted. Then, that entire harddrive "disappeared" from My Computer. In other words, the drive icon disappeared as if the drive was no longer detected.

I restarted and got a DOS error saying "Hardware Failure, contact your hardware vendor."

I removed the drive (its my secondary) and the computer started up fine. Virus scans found nothing.

I dont know what to do at this point. EVERY thing that matters to me is on that drive. Are there tests I can run to see whats wrong with it? I really hope the data is recoverable.

For the record, its a 250 gig Internal S-ATA Seagate drive.

Thanks for ANY help, I really appreciate it!!
    Rob

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

A little tough to do when pc won't boot with it plugged. Sata drives are plug'n'pray so you could plug it in while up in Windows but I would guess the drive is dead.

4. dreadpyrat

Thanks for the info guys! I got that boot disk to work and got all my data back!!
    THe utilities on the boot disk found that there were corrupted files on the drive and it seems to have repaired them.

Now, whenever I start my machine I get this blue XP loading screen with text that says something like:

Checking File System on F:
    The Type of file system is NTFS
    The Volume is Dirty
    CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)....

and so on.
    My computer always works fine after that but I dont know whats up with all this dirty voluem stuff. Any ideas?

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

It's an indication that check disk needs to be run and if you are getting it all the time, it is time to back up your important stuff now and buy a new hard drive today and install Windows quickly, the hard drive is going to quit on you.

6. dreadpyrat

Really?! Oh man, that sucks. I mean, its only 6 months old or so...it s a Seagate Barracuda. Isnt Seagate one of the best drive manfacturers out there today? Who can I trust?

This raises a bigger question. What is the safest way to store data then? This isnt the first time a drive failed on me and lost work. I've had a Maxtor go as well.

And all the info I want to backup is too big to fit on DVDs....it would take dozens of them. There has got to be a better way...

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Of course that is a matter of opinion and expereince but Seagate for me is # 2 except that their sata drives have not proven as reliable as their ide drives used to be.
    Maxtor are the worst and most unreliable.
    Personally I think the safest way to store data is with Western Digital hard drives. I have never seen any go bad except a few shipped with no precautions.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice