1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is my hdd a sata please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pulley, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pulley

pulley Thread Starter

hi all,

i have a broken dv9000 laptop, i also have a ps3.
    after my laptop died i took one off the hdd out off my laptop and placed it into my ps3 which said it needed a sata hdd all has worked fine.
    my problem is all my files etc.. are on the other hdd in my laptop so i thought about getting a external hdd case so i can transfer stuff to my pc but when i check the ports to the sata hdd case's they have the slim long l shape port where as my laptop has pins that had a converter on the top when inside my laptop which i had to take off so that it would fit inside my ps3.

sorry to going on but i don't know much about hardware

thankyou for your time

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

You have a laptop that broke, meaning it no longer boots up? You took the hard drive off the laptop and put it in your ps3 and it works? Now you want to transfer the data on your other hard drive still in the laptop to the new machine? But...the hard drive won't fit because you removed the adapter to fit it into the new machine?
    I'm asking because I'm not sure exactly what you need. Jazz

3. pulley

pulley Thread Starter

thankyou for the reply,

i wanted to know if the pins that the hdd have is sata so i can order a hdd case.

the hdd has pins, but the laptop used that long l shape connection so the hdd came with the connecter to fit the machine. but i had to remove this so it would work in the ps3 which say's any sata harddrive will work.

what i would like to know is does sata have pins and/or the thin l shape slots

i did order an ide but it did not fit.

hope this helps to clear up what i mean. i'm not good with this sort off thing

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

You can also order adapters for the Sata but I would suggest you find a store in your area if possible and take the hard drive with you. If there's a tech on duty let him look at it and tell you what you need.
    Not dodging the question but I can't see your hardware so it's hard to say what is needed. Techs are good about helping you solve certain issues. Jazz

5. pulley

pulley Thread Starter

thankyou i will take it with me

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

I think you'll feel more confident if you can ask and receive the information as you purchase parts. Let us know what happens...Jazz

7. stuart.l

stuart.l

if the hard drive has 2 rows of 20 pins each it is ATA/IDE
    If it has 2 connectors, it is SATA

8. pulley

pulley Thread Starter

thanks for the help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice