1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my internet being piggy backed?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lovejoy2, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovejoy2

Lovejoy2 Thread Starter

A series of articles on wikipedia have been edited, apparently from this ip address. I have no memory of these edits (indeed I had not even heard of some of the subjects choosen).

How can I find out if this is?

a) an error by Wikipedia
    b) someone piggybacking the router

The main router is connected to a mac which runs Snow Leopard. Any help or advice is most welcome.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Lovejoy2, and welcome to TSG.

If your Internet connection uses a dynamic IP address, it is quite possible that someone else had your current address at some time in the past. Typical residential broadband service uses dynamic IP addresses.

If your router includes a wireless access point that is enabled, does not use any kind of wireless encryption, and you are in a populated area, there is a good chance that people can easily piggyback your wireless network.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice