Is my internet being piggy backed?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lovejoy2

A series of articles on wikipedia have been edited, apparently from this ip address. I have no memory of these edits (indeed I had not even heard of some of the subjects choosen).

How can I find out if this is?

a) an error by Wikipedia
b) someone piggybacking the router

The main router is connected to a mac which runs Snow Leopard. Any help or advice is most welcome.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Hi Lovejoy2, and welcome to TSG.

If your Internet connection uses a dynamic IP address, it is quite possible that someone else had your current address at some time in the past. Typical residential broadband service uses dynamic IP addresses.

If your router includes a wireless access point that is enabled, does not use any kind of wireless encryption, and you are in a populated area, there is a good chance that people can easily piggyback your wireless network.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online