1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my laptop going to be any good?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katakoon, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katakoon

katakoon Thread Starter

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 1520 the other day and I wasn't really going to use it for gaming(I didn't think something that would be great for gaming would be in my price range). I just picked the stuff that seemed like it would make a decent pc. So, with these specs:
    Dell Inspiron 1520 w/ 17 inch monitor
    Vista Home Premium Edition
    2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 @ 667MHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 (2.0 GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600M GT
    160GB SATA Hard Drive(5400RPM)
    Intergrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition

Am I good to play some high end games like BioShock and Shadowrun?

Bioshock System Requirments:
    Minimum System Requirements:

* CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
    * System RAM: 1GB
    * Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).
    * Sound Card: 100 direct X 9.0c compatible sound card
    * Hard disc space: 8GB free space

Recommended System Requirements:

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    * System RAM: 2GB
    * Video card:
    o DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
    o DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
    * Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

Shadowrun System Requirements
    :
    System requirements: 3.2 GHz CPU; 1GB RAM; 7GB hard drive space; Windows Vista; ATI X800 or NVIDIA 6800 display adapter with 256 MB RAM

I mean, I'm plenty good for it, right?

I just want to know if it's recommended I play games on it, and if you'd think it was a gaming machine. Like, are Inspirons good to game on?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Very few laptops are "good to game on".

Gaming is very CPU intensive, and with a laptop the excessive heat generated cannot be dissipated as it can in a desktop.

Laptops then have to speed-step down to keep from overheating, so performance suffers.

Also, you quote the minim requirements for the game in terms of a single core processor. If the game is not written to optimise a dual core processor (likely for the second one?) then you are running it on a 2.0 GHz CPU for all intents.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice