Is my laptop shutting off because it's overheating?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gagyourmouth

I have a gateway M520C laptop that's about 4 years old. It has windows XP pro Service Pack 2, an intel celeron (R) processor at 2.66 gHz, 512 MB of RAM, and it's running right now at between 2 and 11% CPU and a commit charge 336M out of 112M. I have minimal processes running; in fact, just the bare minimum to operate the computer, AIM is open, and my internet browser (firefox).

I have a cooling pad that's on right now and my laptop fan is still running all the time and never stops. I turn my computer off to let it rest, but it shut off about 30 minutes ago by itself. Maybe because it overheated? This hasn't happened to me since summer 2005 before I got the cooling pad and didn't happen again (even after I stopped using said cooling pad) until a few weeks ago. Now, even with the cooling pad on, my laptop still shuts off, possibly from overheating. Someone suggested applying arctic silver 5 on the CPU...is that ok?

Are there any other possible issues?

What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Is there a program I can download/buy that tells me which processes I can eliminate/close?

Will running my OS for optimal performance help?

Please don't tell me to get a mac as a solution :p

aka Brett

Banned
download and install this
Got to power managment through your control panel and set to balanced.
If this is one of the cooling pads that suck air from under the laptop then do not use it.
the reason being when your fan in your notebook kicks on,then you have 2 fans suckings differnant ways fighting each other.
Also that is a good steady drain on the usb port which serves no benefit.

post back with what cpu temps are with power management set to balanced.

aka Brett

Banned
is the fan running full time
the celeron runs hotter than modern cpus
i will see if i can find what is considered acceptable temps

aka Brett

Banned
did you find the setting for balanced under power management
Is it set to maximum performance or always on at the moment

gagyourmouth

The fan is running all the time, even right after I start my laptop up again when the temperature for the ACPI thermal zone is 52 degrees.

Where would I find power management? Is it in PC Wizard?

aka Brett

Banned
Power Management settings aren't going to control anything related to temperature.
yes it does if the power managment has the processor set to always on
then the cpu runs hotter
example i can switch mine right now from balanced to high performance and in seconds my fan will come on and stay on.on balanced i get a fan for a few seconds once in a while unless scanning.
Basically the thread starter has a desktop cpu in a note book
and if it is running at maximum performance it will run hot.
there isnt the capability to have the same cooling as as desktop
so therefore balanced should be tried or even power saver.

DoubleHelix

Banned
I've never seen a processor "always on" setting in Power Management. There's a scheme called "Always On", but it has nothing to do with the processor constantly running. It means the system never goes into standby or hibernate mode.

aka Brett

Banned
I've never seen a processor "always on" setting in Power Management. There's a scheme called "Always On", but it has nothing to do with the processor constantly running. It means the system never goes into standby or hibernate mode.
that is what i am refering to is the power scheme.
on a note book that controls the processor stepping
always on is full cpu
balanced is usually on half then give full cpu for scanning
power saving keeps the cpu at about one half of full cpu capabilty
there are other settings for hd spindown time etc

aka Brett

Banned
here are 2 shots i just made one on balanced the other on high performance as you can see by my processor that the one shot has it running in balanced mode by the cpu stepping down

Attachments

aka Brett

Banned
here is another shot
although this is vista and i am not on my xp machine at the moment the settings are worded closely and located in the same place

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online