Is my laptop upgradable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mephilas

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600E. I talked over getting a new graphics card for it, but he told me many aren't upgradable. Is this one upgradable?

No.

Only a very few top end laptops actually have separate graphics modules, and they are usually only "upgradeable" between whatever options are offered by the maker at the time.

Laptops don't have a "graphics card" like a desktop does (as you would realise by the size, nowhere to fit one)

Possibly. Depends how much you presently have fitted.

From memory it will take 2 x 128 MB modules, you would have to discard the 32 MB module already in there. It should have 32 MB "on motherboard" Max was 288 MB from memory (32 on board, plus 2 x 128)

Might be harder to find older RAM these days for the notebook. Try Kingston?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Of course, new laptops that will exceed the capabilities of the upgraded machine you have sell for $600 or so, I'd take that into account. Why put money into this one...

Mephilas

Because I have no choice. I don't make enough money to save up for one and the money I DO have has to be spent on other expenses. Maybe when I get a better job, I'll do it, but for now, I have to live with this one (or of course, I could go on ebay, but I'm sure even the ones there are too expensive).

Now I have another question: Can I put more memory in to the hard drive/give my computer a new and larger hard drive?

you cant add memory to a current hard drive but you could always buy an external Hard drive. Costs vary depending on make, quality, and size. Id suggest looking on Newegg for one.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can get a larger hard drive, but I don't know what capacity the computer can handle give it's age. You're going to at least probably have to flash the BIOS. I'd recommend doing that first before buying a hard drive since a BIOS flash has the potential to turn a laptop into a door stop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!