Is my MB okay?

TheBlackLion

I am going to build a new PC. I bought all the parts, just waiting for the cooler to arrive.
In the meantime, I wanted to flashback the bios because I will use R7 5800x (MB is Aorus b550 Elite v2). I did the whole process with a USB flash drive, I watched this guy (
).
I did everything step by step like in the video, however the first time I flipped the switch on the PSU, there was a white light inside the I/O part of the MB for a fraction of a second with a static sound.
I decided to ignore that because I didn't know what happened and continued the process. The flashback light was blinking fast then slow like intended, PSU fan was spinning, and after like 3 min everything stopped. I pulled the flash drive, turned the PSU off, unplugged everything. Everything went according to the video, I assume it's a success.

Does anyone have any idea what a white flash in the motherboard means when powered for the first time.
PSU: Seasonic Core GM 650
MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2

managed

Allan
Sounds like a spark from a short circuit, where exactly was the 'white light' ? Did you notice anything else, perhaps a slight smell of ozone (which has a sort of metallic smell) ?

TheBlackLion

Sounds like a spark from a short circuit, where exactly was the 'white light' ? Did you notice anything else, perhaps a slight smell of ozone (which has a sort of metallic smell) ?
The red circle is where I saw the white light.
I didn't smell anything.
The PSU is not out-of-the-box, I am using it right now in my current PC that im going to switch later when I build my new one. I was told that was because I didn't drain the capacitors in the PSU by holding the power button while the power was off.

managed

Allan
I think you will be ok to use the board but I can't be 100% sure so I've asked one of our hardware experts to have a look at this thread in case they can be more certain.

crjdriver

So I understand correctly, did you plug in the atx pw connector and you saw the flash as you plugged it in OR did you have the atx connector plugged in and you turned ON the pw supply then saw the flash?

If it is the former, then it is possible a capacitor discharged. If it is the second condition, the pw supply capacitors had nothing to do with the issue.

Take a good look at the usb ports and make sure there is nothing stuck in one of them. I would go ahead and use the board and IF there is a problem, then RMA the board.

TheBlackLion

I think you will be ok to use the board but I can't be 100% sure so I've asked one of our hardware experts to have a look at this thread in case they can be more certain.
I am sorry to waste your time with my problems. Thank you very much. <3

TheBlackLion

So I understand correctly, did you plug in the atx pw connector and you saw the flash as you plugged it in OR did you have the atx connector plugged in and you turned ON the pw supply then saw the flash?

If it is the former, then it is possible a capacitor discharged. If it is the second condition, the pw supply capacitors had nothing to do with the issue.

Take a good look at the usb ports and make sure there is nothing stuck in one of them. I would go ahead and use the board and IF there is a problem, then RMA the board.
Step by step of what happened:
I turn off my current PC - unplug the PSU - unscrew it from the case - take it out.

I take the MB out of the box - I put in the USB (in the correct port of course) - I plug in the 24pin into the board - I plug in the 8pin - I plug in the PSU power cord to the outlet - I flip the power switch on the PSU - the white light in the I/O part of the MB flashes for a split second.

I continued the bios flashback like nothing happened - flashback button was flashing fast then slow like in the video - the PSU fan starts spinning - after 3-4 minutes it stopped flashing - PSU fan stops spinning - all the lights are off ( I wasn't paying attention to the RGB on the MB, so I don't know about that).

I take out the USB - flip the PSU power switch to OFF - take out the 24pin and 8pin - take out the PSU power cord from the outlet - put it back in my current PC - put the MB back in the box. THE END

I tested the USB ports by plugging in my flash drive in each of them, there is nothing stuck inside.
The MB smells the same, smells like something new. It has a PCB smell and that normal packaging smell you get in all new boxes.

crjdriver

I would say failing to discharge the pw supply had nothing to do with this issue. Go ahead and use the board. If there is a problem, then simply RMA the motherboard. If you purchased from newegg, they are very good about RMAs.

TheBlackLion

I would say failing to discharge the pw supply had nothing to do with this issue. Go ahead and use the board. If there is a problem, then simply RMA the motherboard. If you purchased from newegg, they are very good about RMAs.
Is it my fault?
This is step-by-step of what I did with the board, nothing else. It's just sitting in the box collecting dust.

crjdriver

Did you read what I posted?
I would say failing to discharge the pw supply had nothing to do with this issue
I doubt you had anything to do with the flash. Use the board and if it does not work, then RMA it. Do understand that most sellers have a limited time for a RMA; after that you have to deal with the board mfg.

TheBlackLion

I doubt you had anything to do with the flash. Use the board and if it does not work, then RMA it. Do understand that most sellers have a limited time for a RMA; after that you have to deal with the board mfg.
Thank you so much for your assistance.

TheBlackLion

An update on the Motherboard:
I built the PC, no problems.
The white light in the MB happens every time I turn the PSU power switch ON.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online