1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my MOBO bad?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by axofthebeholder, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. axofthebeholder

axofthebeholder Thread Starter

Ok so I built this PC Jan 2009 and I've had some serious PSU problems. My psu failed in april, than again the last week of august. I just received my third PSU (Corsair TX750) and it failed in a mere 24 hours. I'm starting to think my mobo is killing PSU's is there any ways to test this or other options?
    I really doubt I need more than 750W (especially because the only game I played before the last failure was Diablo 2). I have a GTX 260, 3 small case fans and only 1 HD.

Thx.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Most PSU's are protected from current draw overload, I wonder if you have problems with the electric service to your home.

3. axofthebeholder

Humm well it failed twice at my house but the third one that failed in my dorm room because I'm at college now. I really don't wanna waste money on shipping an RMA again so is there any other theory other than me being really unlucky if my mobo cant cause it?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It could be the MOBO isn't able to turn it on, or a defective power switch.

To test if the power switch is defective, use a metal screwdriver to momentarily jumper ( less than 2 seconds should do) the MOBO pins where the swtich would normally go. If that works then suspect the power switch.

If that doesn't work, try the "paperclip trick". This involves jumpering the green wire on the 20 or 24 pin connector to one of the black wires using a paperclip (this needs to be a continuous jumper). If the PSU starts up your PC then suspect the MOBO.

5. axofthebeholder

yea I know the paperclip trick so I know for a fact the PSU's are dead and my motherboard works every time i get a new one, it's just PSU's keep dieing on me. I used a friends psu and it worked but I don't wanna kill his too.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I don't have a clue then since this has happened at both your house and dorm. It is unlikely both could have bad power.

Do you by chance have any PCI/PCI-e cards plugged in that use -12V or -5V ? (I had a problem with some industrial data acquisition cards that use -12V @ ~2 amps).

7. axofthebeholder

uhh the only card I have is my GTX 260 which uses two PCI-E cables I don't know about the voltage tho. I have a good quality powerstrip but it seems to be the only common outside piece, I'll replace that and apply for another RMA I guess.

8. axofthebeholder

(can't edit for some reason)

Anyone else have a theory before I put corsair out of business by possibly blowing up another one :D

9. axofthebeholder

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice