1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

is my modem a winmodem???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kraddler2003, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kraddler2003

kraddler2003 Thread Starter

how do i tell if i have a winmodem or not>>in device manager?? its a broadexant dsi v.92 pci dsi di3631...that is all it says in device manager.i hear that winmodems suck because they use the cpu to do all the work..and a real modem dosent....how do you tell the difference between them?whats the cost difference/?.. i thought my modem was pretty decent..with aol i get a connection speed of 5066kbps 90% of the time..lowest is like 4099..anything under 4800 i redial..

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

WinModems are not true modems... true... but it means they eat a bit more CPU time, but not noticable considering if you have a 1000+Mhz CPU. It has nothing to do with "connection" speed...

You want more speed... get DSL. In the USA, typical costs is now $30.00 a month (Which is what I pay)... hmmm. compare that to $25.00 for AOL or $10~15 for typical dial up...
    3~4K per sec vs 700~900k per sec (pay an extra $10~30 for 1000K or more)

WinModems tend to be more of a problem for Linux users...

3. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

As they say "If it works,don't fix it".
    In most cases,if a WinModem is configured correctly,it will have fewer issues than many others,remain stable and then just forgotten about...
    You can't hardly beat that...,considering all the other issues a computer can have.
    As far as the CPU usage when you are on-line,chances are that your system is at full bore anyway.What possible difference could the few hertz that it takes to run the modem mean?

Basically,if what you have works well for you,don't screw with it...

Oh,and don't believe everything that AOL tells you.Connection speeds change all the time that you are "on".The distribution of signal is determined by the load on the network at any given time.
    There are some utilities that will tell you exact connection rates at the time you check them.I have seen my dial-up change from 50k to 26 to 43 in a matter of seconds...
    If you can dial and get connected,you might as well stay with it rather than re-dial hoping to get a faster connection.

4. dabwid

dabwid

Krad don't try to tweak that Broadxent modem. I tried to tweak mine now it stalls out and I have to reboot everytime I go offline and try to reconnect. Good thing I get DSL on Monday. That modem has given me nothing but trouble. Good luck with it.

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

GwizJoe:
    "As far as the CPU usage when you are on-line,chances are that your system is at full bore anyway."

If your system is performing like that you have severe hardware or configuration problems. Even with 41 processes running in the background, 15 webpages open, Outlook open and checking for new mail, downloading Norton Anti-Virus updates, participating in the forums, listening to music and running Task Manager yields ONLY about 1%-3% CPU usage. Peaks at ~9% occasionally on the system I'm on now and it's 3 years old!

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

I'm sorry...,I should have worded that differently.
    What I meant to say was,it should have ALMOST 100% "AVAILABLE" at that time...

geeezzzz....,I need to drink either a lot more or much less coffee before I start typing.

You are absolutely right,any system,depending on the available RAM resources,processing ability and,configured correctly...,should never run at 100% processor kernal usage.
    I'd say your's is doing pretty darn good to run all of that and maintain even a 10% level.Must have a pretty decent system.

7. pronute

pronute

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Run [email protected] that'll get you to a nice constant 100%....

Also good for warming up your CPU if you want to see how she does under a load.

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

My favorite home system that I use ALL the time is:

AMD 1.4G ATHLON “THUNDERBIRD” 266 cpu (kinda outdated)
    ThermalTake Crystal ORB fan/heatsink (not stock)
    Asus A7M266 mobo (outdated)
    1x512MB PURE MicronDDR CAS2 RAM(PC2100)
    2x40G IBM hdds setup in RAID0
    1x46G IBM hdd as backup,storage
    LiteOn 16x/48x DVD
    LiteOn 40x12x48 CDRW (outdated)
    Mitsumi floppy
    Enlight Mid-Tower case w/frt.80mm case fan
    StarTech 461w Dual Fan Power Supply (Will support 10 drives)
    Adaptec 1200 SCSI/Controller card (for RAID) setup)
    Realtec 2 port add-in USB card
    Belkin Self-Powered 4 port USB Hub
    Diamond External 56k v/f/etc. modem hooks into serial port
    Guillemot/MUSE MAXI SOUND sound card (prefer over Creative SoundBlaster line)
    Radeon 7000 64MB DDR video card ( temp.- testing because it appeared defective) video cards vary from time to time
    HP 990cse printer USB
    HP 5200C scanner USB
    Canon A50 Digital Camera USB
    Digi-CamII Digital Camera USB
    Sony TRV33 Digital Camcorder USB/Firewire Going to switch from USB to Firewire
    Compact Flash Card Reader USB
    Altec Lansing 300?? 2 speakers with subwoofer ( great sound for only 3 spkrs.)
    CyberPower UPS Hooks into serial port
    MS Internet Keyboard USB
    MS Intellimouse Optical USB running USB/PS2 adapter
    19” AOC TotalFlat Monitor at 1152x864 (Standard) large fonts with Refresh rate @100MHz
    36 Processes running in background right now, CPU usage/w 20 internet pages open, WORD open, Outlook(e-mail) open- only 1-2% !

10. TheRef310

TheRef310

hmmmm.... It seems to me that my computer is running faster even with 100% CPU usage

11. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Mine "idles" at 2% with just about anything open.

PIII 866 w/640megs

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice