1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my modem bad?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Toobampstereo, Aug 15, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Toobampstereo

Toobampstereo Thread Starter

Hello everyone thanks for reading.
    I have a motorola mb7220 cable modem and it is hard wired to my dell, no router at all.
    I recently was given an offer to upgrade to cox 150 mbps speed by cox on a promo and took it.
    But the last couple of weeks before this point my net speed was down from 30 mbps to 20 mbps..
    used every speedtest i could use online from speedtest.net to fast.com to att etc etc and ALL say the speed is lower.
    I power cycled the modem...repeatedly since...had a modem signal sent from cox site several times to it..no help.
    Updated the realtek pcbe family controller driver and it was already current.Checked my lan and area settings all were correct..checked the outside distribution 3 outlet block each outlet gave the same signal..checked to see if my modem was cox supported it was...so called cox .
    They said my packet delivery to them was fine just my speed is slow.
    They finally scheduled a tech...who came when i was in the bathroom,knocked once at front ,,at which time i yelled hang on in the bathroom...i know they can hear it.The tech goes to back door, same thing..yelled out to him..he left.
    Couple days later the net is even slower now consistently so called cox again and they said i cant reschedule due to the tech saying it was a problem on my end...of course.And a 75 dollar fee might apply if they send a tech at this pt..even though i am disabled.
    NOTE-right after the returning from the b.r. after the tech left i checked my speed and it was there... .once.
    rechecked on other tests and once again net had dropped to slow speeds 10% of what my package specifies.
    Power outages and drops and blinks where it goes off and comes immediately back on are really common here.
    This has hit my modem a dozen times at least and it seems close time frame to my last speed drop that this very thing happened.Might be coincidence might not....but its the only anomaly i can find.
    Neighbors also complain saying power drops have actually cost them appliances and electronics with no doubt.
    I stupidly sit on the computer during a rain storm instead of shutting down due to the fact that it rains a LOT lol in florida heat in the summer.
    HERES THE KICKER-speedtest.net offers a downloaded stand alone app for your desktop and phone and i got it..INSTANTLY and EVERY time i use it the speed is there! But NEVER ever when going thru any browser for a speed test...this should prove i dont have an outside wire problem i think or the speed would have ingress or egress symptoms but rather over that standalone app i get MORE than expected ...150 package getting 176 over that app..
    But a modem has channels and that app uses the net differently than thru a browser...
    SO my question is do i have a damaged modem from power fluxes and spikes that has limited itself due to internal electrical damage?
    Hesitating to just buy a replacement until i know...ty!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    cox has a speed test. Have you tried that? Do you have someone that has a laptop that can connect directly to the modem to confirm your speeds? I would have thought the technician would also checked with their laptop to make sure it wasn't your computer.

3. Toobampstereo

Yes have done the cox site speedtest many many times...all the same..on every speedtest everywhere lol.
    Gonna be hard to get a friend with a laptop over but its a thought.
    The tech never actually came in he knocked when i was in the bathroom and although im positive he heard me yell to hang on im coming, he left...after one three rap knock.When i called back the tech had said that it was on my end and had noted no reschedule..even though he never got to come in..i asked them if a tech could bring a test modem and they said yes but it would cost 75 dollars if that modem acquired the speeds where mine wouldnt...heck of a way to treat someone disabled and i may go to the BBB.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Upgrade your browser and re-test.

5. Toobampstereo

If you mean update its current..ive tried on every browser i have chrome ff edge and explorer same results but if i use the stand alone app for ookla speedtest the speed is perfect..

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Lets focus on Chrome. Go to [menu] > help > about. And it will auto fetch the latset version and install it.

Then try the browser based online speed test again .

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1231529

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice