1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my monitor failing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AbvAvgUser, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser Thread Starter

I have a Samsung 14 inch monitor which is about 3 and a half years old. Since last some time, the display has lost its brightness.

The brightness is at its maximum from the monitor panel buttons. Through Display properties > Settings, I have brightened up the display somewhat. But even that looks dull now.

I have also tried this monitor with other computers but the result has been same.

Is it failing? Is it on the verge of dying?

2. BTS '76

BTS '76

Yeah, if the monitor has the same results on other computers, I would say it's served it's purpose. Just to throw in my two cents, did you try cleaning the screen with glass cleaner or something? Just a thought.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And, if another monitor works fine on this computer....you've pretty much answered your own question........I have an older Gateway monitor with the same characteristics......

4. AbvAvgUser

BTS '76 ...
    Yes buddy, the monitor is absolutely clean - internally as well as externally.

One thing that now I want to try is degausing. It hasn't been done since its bought and there's no degauss option available on the panal buttons of monitor nor in its driver software. So I think I will have to consult some Tech Support center to do that.

Any other options or ideas?

5. n2gun

n2gun

It very likely has a built in degaussing system that does it automatically each time it is turned on. What it sounds like is the picture tube is failing and it would probably be more expensive to replace than the cost of a new monitor.

6. AbvAvgUser

n2gun said:

OH NO!! That means I will have to spend more on it :( :mad:

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's either the tube or the HV supply. Either will probably cost more to fix than a new monitor, which are pretty cheap nowadays. When monitors die nowadays, I toss them, it isn't worth it to try and fix them.

8. AbvAvgUser

I thank you all for helping.

You all have confirmed my fears. However, here in India sometimes it is cheaper to go for repairs. However, its not so always. So I will do the needful whenever it goes totally defunct. :(

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A new 15" monitor costs $77.95 on Pricewatch, so I can't imagine a repair being a good idea!:rolleyes:

10. ~Candy~

Probably can't get shipping............in the same boat here in Mexico....and if you can, the shipping outweighs the price of the monitor :(

11. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

You guys just discribed the problem I've been having with my monitor. Time for a new one.

AcaCandy, That Gateway monitor wouldn't happen to be an EV700 would it? Mine is so dark that it's hard to read the post.

12. ~Candy~

No, this one is REALLY old.........still says Gateway 2000 on it :eek:

guess someone's gotten enough mileage out of it.........

13. AbvAvgUser

$ 77.95 for a monitor!! If I convert it into Indian Rupees at Rs. 48 per US Dollar, it comes to Rs. 3,742. Here in Mumbai, a good monitor costs nothing less than Rs. 6000 to 7,000!!

If I go for a 17" one, that will be even more!!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice