Is my monitor failing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AbvAvgUser

I have a Samsung 14 inch monitor which is about 3 and a half years old. Since last some time, the display has lost its brightness.

The brightness is at its maximum from the monitor panel buttons. Through Display properties > Settings, I have brightened up the display somewhat. But even that looks dull now.

I have also tried this monitor with other computers but the result has been same.

Is it failing? Is it on the verge of dying?

Yeah, if the monitor has the same results on other computers, I would say it's served it's purpose. Just to throw in my two cents, did you try cleaning the screen with glass cleaner or something? Just a thought.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
And, if another monitor works fine on this computer....you've pretty much answered your own question........I have an older Gateway monitor with the same characteristics......

AbvAvgUser

BTS '76 ...
did you try cleaning the screen with glass cleaner or something?
Yes buddy, the monitor is absolutely clean - internally as well as externally.

One thing that now I want to try is degausing. It hasn't been done since its bought and there's no degauss option available on the panal buttons of monitor nor in its driver software. So I think I will have to consult some Tech Support center to do that.

Any other options or ideas?

It very likely has a built in degaussing system that does it automatically each time it is turned on. What it sounds like is the picture tube is failing and it would probably be more expensive to replace than the cost of a new monitor.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's either the tube or the HV supply. Either will probably cost more to fix than a new monitor, which are pretty cheap nowadays. When monitors die nowadays, I toss them, it isn't worth it to try and fix them.

AbvAvgUser

I thank you all for helping.

You all have confirmed my fears. However, here in India sometimes it is cheaper to go for repairs. However, its not so always. So I will do the needful whenever it goes totally defunct. :(

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Probably can't get shipping............in the same boat here in Mexico....and if you can, the shipping outweighs the price of the monitor :(

You guys just discribed the problem I've been having with my monitor. Time for a new one.

AcaCandy, That Gateway monitor wouldn't happen to be an EV700 would it? Mine is so dark that it's hard to read the post.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
No, this one is REALLY old.........still says Gateway 2000 on it :eek:

guess someone's gotten enough mileage out of it.........

AbvAvgUser

$ 77.95 for a monitor!! If I convert it into Indian Rupees at Rs. 48 per US Dollar, it comes to Rs. 3,742. Here in Mumbai, a good monitor costs nothing less than Rs. 6000 to 7,000!!

If I go for a 17" one, that will be even more!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online