is my motherboard controlling my CPU's clockspeed?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

longcat

after my old motherboard died last week, i had the good fortune to find exactly the same motherboard but with a lesser CPU for sale really cheaply at a computer fair, so i just bought the motherboard and took it home, plugged it in, now it all works...

marvellous,

but when i turn on the computer i see that my processor os 1.1Ghz instead of the 1.8Ghz that i was expecting, which, by coincidence, is the speed of the lesser CPU that was on this board...

so...

have i been kidding myself these last few years and i've really only had a 1.1GHz processor, or is this motherboard controlling the speed of my CPU?

or another option i haven't even thought of yet?

x

TRS-80 vet

Account Closed
PCWORLD mag had an article about clock speed and adjusting. It said some manufacturers 'hardwire' the clock speed, to prevent owner o/c'ing, and reducing the # of customer service calls about hot CPU's...

longcat

my motherboard is ECS k7SEM v1.0

i thought my CPU was AMD duron 1.8GHz but now i'm confused...

i'm reading the clock speed from when the computer boots up, the very first screen,

but also from a program called wcpuid.exe,

this program is telling me i have a clock speed of 1.1Ghz and an AMD athlon XP CPU...

it's been years since i bought this PC so i'm a little uncertain...

x

longcat

so, on finding a manual online for my motherboard i've found out how to change some kind of clock speed in the BIOS, i've set it to 133MHz, which is now giving me a startup Clockspeed of 1800MHz like i thought, but with wcpuid.exe i get 1526 MHz ...

is this normal? or should i be getting what i expect to be getting... i'm a musician so i want my clockspeed to be accurate, i don't particularly want to overclock... just getting the right clock speed will suit me...

i appreciate all this is pretty much motherboard & CPU dependant and there's not much anyone can tell me who hasn't got exactly what i've got (now there's a challenge if ever i heard one)...

but i'm still confused, it doesn't help that i can't remember if my CPU is athlon or duron...

does anyone know this software... wcpuid.exe... could it be mistaking my duron for an athlon...?

still holding out hope of some clues...

x

jumper settings on the board set the multiplier ratio required for a particular cpu - (the same board can run different chips but the jumpers need to be set for the specific processor) -
the jumpers on the new board a set for the older cpu so your processor is being "underclocked" -
hum - it looks like the speed may be set in the bios for your particular board - here's
the manual if you don't have it:

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/manual/k7sem10eng.zip

this'll tell you what cpu you have:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/amdcpuid.exe

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/CPUInfo.exe

longcat

thankyou, i'm happy now, athlon 1800 do indeed run at aroun1.54Ghz...

x

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online