1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my Motherboard Fried, or is my CPU Fried???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Doyle_27, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doyle_27

Doyle_27 Thread Starter

About a week ago I was working on my computer when I started to hear a bit of a squeal. I could not determine the location of the squeal while the computer was running due to additional noise of the fans and such. So I turned off the computer and vacuumed it would a bit to remove dust from the fans and aloud it to cool down. When I booted up again a couple hours later it started to load with no issues and no squeal. After about 30 seconds it started to squeal again, this time louder, and then all of a sudden turned off. I could not get it to start up again, immediately after, a couple hours after, and a couple days after.

I swapped out the power supplies thinking it may be the power supply as I had an extra to which that did not help or do anything. I unplugged everything only keeping the motherboard plugged into the PSU and tried turning it on. This did not do anything either. I swapped the power supplies back and I found that when powered on I can hear a high pitched noise, and when the power button is pushed it gets louder. It sounds like it is coming from the general area of the CPU but I cannot be too sure.

I have pulled everything from my system, ram, video card, HDD, etc. and re-seated everthing making sure nothing had come loose and all that fun stuff. Tried loading it up again, and nothing.

I have looked at the CPU which looks like it is worn a fair bit as most of the writing on the chip is gone. It looks like some corrosion around the chip even though it has never been wet.

I have checked out the whole motherboard and everthing is seated properly, no broken wires or missing diodes. Cannot find any scorch marks indicating that the board fried.

So I am thinking this is the CPU itself that had died, but does anything have any suggestions for me to try out before I go replacing the motherboard, CPU, or just buying a new computer. The computer itself is older (approx. 6 or 7 years old) but has been very realiable to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks...

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Motherboards fail a lot more frequently then CPU's, I'd say the motherboard is more likely the culprit then the CPU but the only way to know for sure is to try the CPU elsewhere or try another CPU with your board.

Socket A boards and processors are hard to find, and you need to make sure that if you do buy a part that it will work with what you have. Being that old I'd say if its not worth putting much money into.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

As much as what Triple says is true, the "squeal" if it could be more like a "siren" sound sounds like the cpu, but again it could be either in retrospect.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am betting on a failed board due to leaking capacitors. CPUs are really pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock/overvolt them or physically damage it during installation.

5. Doyle_27

Doyle_27 Thread Starter

I would say it was more of a squeal than a siren. It reminds me of a loose fan belt sound on a car usually when starting up on a cold day. Not as loud though.

The corrosion was not seen on the board, it was seen on the CPU chip itself. It was not a rust corrosion as normal, but more of a bright orange corrosion surrounding the CPU chip.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure thats not just the old AMD thermal pad?

7. Doyle_27

Doyle_27 Thread Starter

It may be, I have actually never looked at the CPU itself before due to the pain of removing the heatsink.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If I might add, using a vacuum inside your computer is asking for problems. Vacuums are tremendous Static Electricity Generators. And Static Electricity is a killer of Microelectronics (computer circuits). It is better to use a can of Compressed Air for dust removal from your computer. You are saving about $3 or $4 by using a vacuum instead, but take the risk of replacing your system at from between $200 to however much you spent.

9. Doyle_27

Doyle_27 Thread Starter

I am aware of this, and that is why I use compressed air to remove most dust first. Unfortunately at 11pm when my compressed air ran out, I couldn't just go out and buy a new one. And if I use a vacuum to clean my computer like I did that night, I unplug everything and use a soft brush with plastic attachments which don't conduct electricity.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Believe it or not, it is the air moving across the plastic that creates the most static electricity. If you were to get a look at the ESD safe Vacuums, the attachments are actually metal so that they may be grounded to dissipate the static charge build up external of the Electronic Equipment.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/774367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice