1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mazuli, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mazuli

Mazuli Thread Starter

I have two computers (which is how I am able to post this). One of them just recently had an error. Here is the story:

I leave my computers on all day and all night (downloading or leaving a game on or just not doing anything. Most people with broadband do this). Well today when I turned on my monitor, I had a blue screen. I use windows xp and this was, surprisingly, the first blue screen I had ever gotten. The blue screen said an error about a "Win32Key" not functioning properly, and at the bottom of the screen, it said something about "Stop 0x0000000###" or something (similar error as when I overload this computer with ram and it is incompatible).

To fix this I restarted the computer. The monitor didn't turn on. The computer began loading like it always does, and then stopped loading, while the monitor never turned on. At first I thought the computer started up but the monitor was broken or a connection was. So I checked and all connections were fine. I turned off the computer, removed my video card (where the monitor is connected), and connected my monitor to the motherboard slot (the one that the computer came with). Still no go with the monitor. I then disconnected it and connected it to this computer. It worked fine. So I knew the monitor was fine.

Next I removed both hard drives and switched them. This computer gave an error about the hard drive saying it wasn't configured for the hardware and it was the incorrect hard drive, and I need to remove it. I thought that was normal, as this computer's hardware isn't configured for that hard drive. I tried booting the other computer with this computer's hard drive, and the same thing occured: Flashing yellow light (showing it was loading), followed by the regular green light (meaning the computer is on) and nothing else happened. So I knew the hard drives couldn't be the problems.

Next I connected the other computer with all of this computer's hardware (mouse, keyboard, etc.). I put the ram from this computer into the other. Still the same error occured. I put the ram from the other computer into this, along with the video card. Video card works fine, as does the ram. (both computers are 100% ram compatible [sdram pc100] and video card compatible [pci slot]). I also tried starting up the computer with NO ram and only the monitor. Same thing as always happened.

So I came to this conclusion: The motherboard is broken. I don't know if it is broken, because I've only seen a fried motherboard happen once before (which had these same results). But everything on the motherboard seems to work fine. The hard drive lights up, the ethernet card's light stays on, the fan works. I don't know if those have to do with the motherboard working or not.

Does anyone have any clue what is going on?

System Specs:
    Computer 1 (one I am using for this message)
    766 mhz celeron
    pc100 sdram, 256 mb (two 128 sticks)
    pci video card slot
    HP made (if you were curious abou the inferior parts)

Computer 2 (broken one)
    1ghz athlon (which also could be a problem, since amd is less reliable at times)
    pc100 adram, 512mb ram (two 256 sticks)
    pci video card slot with a 64mb geforce 4 card
    HP made (so everything is pretty much compatible).

EDIT:
    Also, my computer was fine this morning. I left for school, it had not been touched. My room with my 2 computers were left alone. I came home with the error already there.

2. rugrat

rugrat

3. Mazuli

Mazuli Thread Starter

I haven't installed any new hardware on that computer for over a week. The last new hardware I added was an optical mouse (on christmas day, as I got it for christmas) which replaced my other mouse's ps2 slot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice