1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Is my motherboard fried?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dbiniek, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dbiniek

dbiniek Thread Starter

Thank you in advance for viewing my post.

I am fixing a computer (for a friend) which I believe has a fried motherboard but I would like to see if other people have ideas because I don't want to order a motherboard if that isn't the broken part. Originally I thought it was going to be a simple power supply change but that isn't the case. The information I have to offer is below:

The computer was working fine when they used it and they shut the system down. A week later when they tried to start the computer it doesn't do anything. I thought the power supply was maybe bad but I swapped one in that I know works and it still shows no life. I check all the obvious things like making sure it was plugged in, the switch was on, and so forth. The computer is a Dell computer for 2004 and I have two other motherboards I wanted to swap in but the LED, Power Switch, and Restart Switch connections (jumpers or whatever they are called) cannot be attached properly to the motherboard with the case. I have also tried switching the possibly broken motherboard, processor, and RAM into another machine and haven't been able to get any response from that either.

My best guess is there has been some storms in the area lately and maybe the motherboard was damaged by lightning? The only signs of life the motherboard has is there is a green light that lights on the mother board with i turn the power supply on... otherwise none of the fans move and the motherboard doesn't make a sound when started... just dead silence. The power supply works... if someone were to guess if this was a motherboard, processor, or RAM problem based on the symtoms what would they guess?

Thank you very much for your time and help. It is greatly appreciated. :)

2. repairman

repairman

First Name:
    Tom
    Sounds a lot like my problem. The green light (flea light) shows you have power to the board. Make sure the power is off and unplugged before opening a pc. Next check the voltage switch on the back (red toggle switch) that should be set to 115 not 230. Next check connections on power on switch. They might be loose. Next, make sure all connectors are solidly attached to motherboard. You can unplug, replug some connections. If you have a multimeter you can see if motherboard is getting power from power on switch. If that doesn't help, then you are stuck like I am for a motherboard. You might want to check out rebuilt systems, some are cheaper than motherboards.

3. dbiniek

dbiniek Thread Starter

Repairman,

Thank you for the reply. This is the information I was looking for as I have tried most of these steps but will check the ones I didn't... it is looking more and more like I will be getting a new motherboard or system. Thank you for the information.

If anyone else has any ideas I would still be more than glad to hear them. Thanks. :)

Derek

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

Have you pulled the motherboard out of the casing to make certain your not shorting things out with the MOBO - Case connection, (i.e., MB screws to the casing causing shorts?) Have you reset CMOS to clear any possible problems with the basics of the Board?
    If the CPU is dead you're not going to get much from a MB either. Sometimes just giving in and putting a new MB and Processor in is the best we can do. What size box is the good PSU? Keep us informed...Jazz

5. dbiniek

dbiniek Thread Starter

Jazz,

Thank you very much for the recommendations. Both of those tests (MOBO and CMOS)were items I forgot to attempt. Unfortunately, neither one of them resolved my problem.

The PSU in the broken computer was a max output of 200... I tried using 2 PSUs that I know work and they were 285 and 300 (max). I believe since they have more power then the original and are relatively close to the same size there shouldn't be a problem. Please let me know if that is a bad assumption.

Thank you very much again for you suggestions! It is greatly appreciated. This has helped me become more confident that I have a motherboard or CPU problem.

Thanks.

dbiniek

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'll tell you, for a three year old computer, the manufacture sure put a weak psu in the machine. It was probably as cheap as they could go, and provided little or no protection to machine if a power surge or an electrical current hit it.
    The only other thing that comes to mind is a new CMOS battery and/or using a screwdriver on the power posts to try to boot-up by bypassing the Case's power button itself. If you don't see any action there then you pretty much know you've assessed the situation correctly.
    You've done your best. You have certainly gone the extra mile, but somethings are just broken and need replaced. Let us know...Jazz

7. dbiniek

dbiniek Thread Starter

Jazz,

First and foremost I want to thank you for the help you have supplied me in this thread. The help you have provided exceeded my expectations of the feedback I would get in a forum.

I tried swapping in a similar CMOS battery last night as your last post suggested and I also used a screwdriver (last night) to attempt to by pass the power switch and the motherboard still shows no signs of life.

I was surprised as you stated that a 3-year-old computer would have a PSU with a max 200 output. It surprised me more that this was a Dell computer as I expected better from them.

Thanks for all your help once again. I am going to chalk this up as a dead motherboard/CPU and look into repairing the system for my friend (or getting him to purchase a new one) whichever is better pricewise. Thanks.

dbiniek

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

You're welcome, though I didn't do much. You're a good friend to do everything you could to fix your friend's system. You're right, today's market sometimes means a brand new computer is often less expensive than the fixed one. I wish you luck and let us know how you fare. Jazz

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/639010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice